Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

Nice one. Thank you.

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

I've used the plugin but that wasn't what I was looking for. I've gone to my forums page and physically changed my sidebar to the one I've customised for the forums (see attached) but it's still displaying the wpforo sidebar. 

3 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm Well i don't follow you. If wpForo sidebar is empty, it doens't display.

Other than that, i can't help more.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis I know you guys have to be overrun with silly questions, but I'm being genuine about this issue. This is what happens when the wpforo is stripped of widgets. Surprise, surprise it shows nothing. Full wide massive page without sidebar despite me having nominated a sidebar to use.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm This is not related with wpForo, it is probably related to your theme or you as a designer.

Again: if wpForo sidebar is empty, it doesn't show. The rest is not related to wpForo.

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

I have purchased a large part of your plugins and am very happy with the forums, but the sidebar is a mess if I'm being honest – the support has always been excellent, but my sidebar on for the forums looks and behaves very differently from my site and I'm not sure why it's not simpler to switch to my native theme sidebars and styling.

9 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

Hi @marsm,

I'm sorry but your problem doesn't have solution from wpForo side. Because the problem comes from your Ad banner. It doesn't fit in the area where it is displayed. The sidebar cannot force the ad banners to display them correctly. So wpForo support is helpless here.

If your issue is not related tot the ads banner and I have understood you incorrectly please provide more information.

P.S. This is the free community support for the free wpForo plugin. Our support level doesn't have any relation to the addons you've purchased. We help wpForo users as much as possible  for free, it doesn't matter the user have purchased an addon or not.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@Robert thank you. I'm not phased about the ad banner in the greater scheme of things. I'm more interested now in trying to change the sidebar from wpforo's side bar to my own sidebar so that I can have continuity of design across all my pages. The wpforo sidebar looks very different style wise to the rest of my site, which I completely understand, but I don't know why I can't just get one of my own sidebars to replace it?

I've removed all widgets as requested above from the wpforo sidebar and then it didn't display a sidebar at all, despite me calling for one from the WP page where the wpForo shortcode is. Any assistance in getting this work would be a massive help.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@marsm,

You just need to edit the forum page and find an option in the Page Editing screen to use Right Sidebar. This comes from your theme. wpForo cannot control the page layout. Your theme should add an option to manage page layout and sidebars like ours:

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@Robert that is exactly what I have done. And does the wpforo sidebar need to have all it's widgets deleted?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@marsm,

Yes, all widgets should be removed from wpForo sidebar to remove it. 

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@Robert well I can say with a fair degree of certainty this doesn't work.

I spent the last hour playing around with this. I removed all widgets from wpforo sidebar. The sidebar vanished and the forums went fill width. I think used the setting for the page to add sidebars left and right, with every sidebar option I have, and nothing works. The forums simply remain full width with no sidebar. I add a widget back to wpforo, the Wpforo sidebar returns immediately. 

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm Again: wpForo is a shortcode only. Doesn't handle page settings, just uses what container is available.

No sidebar in theme's sidebar means simply you have set either a page with no sidebars or the sidebar is empty.

Why you insist with this as a wpForo issue?

Create a new whatever page without any shortode. And view it. Is the sidebar there?

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis I’m not trying to be difficult but am getting contradictory advice here. I’ve been told if I remove widgets from wpforo sidebar it’ll vanish (which it does) and be replaced with my primary sidebar (which it doesn’t). 

That’s the issue I’m facing.

My Wordpress and technical skills are limited and I didn’t know that shortcodes don’t honour page attributes. Robert’s image earlier shows I simply need to pick my primary side to display. You’re now saying that won’t be the case.

Again, I’m very pleased with wpforo and I’ve purchased several add ons I just to use my own sidebar.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm Actually NO.

@robert and myself, we have told you exactly the same thing. wpForo sidebar if empty, it doesn't show.

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

I’ve attached a screenshot that I believe fully replicates Robert’s. Please advice.

7 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm I ask again: Create a NEW whatever page, with no shortcode of anykind.

And view it.

Does it have sidebar widgets?

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis I’ve used this live page and added my new non-wpforo sidebar (the one I want to use) and it’s working perfectly. Instructed the page to show it and it’s perfect: https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/contact-us

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm This is kind of strange.

Can you pls as a test (for a while) add there also

[wpforo] shortcode?

Do not change anything else.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

I see it shows well, with two sidebars and that is normal. If you remove all wpForo widgets from wpForo sidebar, it will be ok.

So the issue with with the Forum page, probably the theme or something.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis but again, if I may, it is not showing well. It's showing nothing when the wpforo sidebar is removed. The page for the forums is exactly the same as the page for the forums. They are identical.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis I have another question - sorry. Is there a way of setting the width of the forums only to say 1080px? By default it's quite narrow: https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/forums

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member
marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

Solution found. For those that are facing future issues, for your page attributes, do not have full width enabled.

5 Replies
marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

Is it possible to set the forum width to 800px?

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@marsm wpforo uses the container width from your theme's page max width

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis – this is also weird now because my default width is 800px, and that's not the same.

One last request please – can you please just give me the css to please reduce the point size of these elements so that the site at least looks semi decent until I get a chance to investigate the width issues?

Please see attached.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis please disregard the css request. I've reverted back to the way it was for now because it all looked very messy. I'll reach out to your sales team this week to get some custom work done.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @marsm

@dimalifragis I'll reach out to your sales team this week to get some custom work done.

Please note that i'm NOT affiliated to wpforo/gvectors in any way.

I'm just a user trying to help.

Page 2 / 3