Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] How to disable the wordpress avatar system on user profile

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@orgynaija)
Eminent Member

Hello, I will like to only allow a user to upload an avatar from there media file. I would like to disable the "wordpress avatar system" and also disable the "specify avatar by URL". How do I do that?

7 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @orgynaija,

I'm sorry but there is no way to disable avatar options one by one. You can disable profile avatar using Usergroup permissions in Dashboard > Forums > Usergroup admin page.

Also please read the Related Topics listed below of this topic.

6 Replies
(@berndg)

Reputable Member

@robert

Hi, Robert,

we in Europe have a problem with data protection laws - but it would be perfectly enough if the default setting were not "Wordpress Avatar System", but one of the other two options. Then the user has chosen the "Wordpress Avatar System" himself, and our great governments are satisfied.

Crazy stuff, but we have to deal with it here. Is there any way to change the pre-selection?

Thanks, Bernd

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

@berndg

Please note the user in WordPress and wpForo is the same. wpForo doesn't have separate users. As wpForo is the WordPress plugin it uses the get_avatar WordPress native function and the avatar belongs to users are being displayed in wpForo as well. 

I'd suggest you just change the value of the "Wordpress Avatar System" phrase and set it for example "Account avatar", or "Avatar System". 

(@berndg)

Reputable Member

@sofy

Sorry, but the Avatar-system in WordPress is already switched off, and still WPForo is offering it preselected. Changing only the name does not help, because the preselected Wordpress Avatar-system does not comply with European laws. And this could be very expensive for us.

If the user selects it himself - ok. If we do it - punishment. I did not make these laws, but we have to deal with it, sorry.

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

@berndg

If the avatars are switched off, wpForo doesn't display any avatars until the users don't upload it. So if you change the use "Wordpress avatar system" to "No avatar" or "Default avatar" won't this solved the issue? 

(@berndg)

Reputable Member

@sofy

the avatars are switched off, nevertheless they are shown in the user account - see the attached pictures, in German, but recognizable.

It is also not the case that we wanted to do without avatars, not even the WordPress avatar system. However, according to European data protection laws, this must not be done automatically or by preselection. If the user clicks on it himself - all right, his decision. If we do that - fat punishment. In addition, our forum will provide anonymity and with automatic switching of Wordpress avatars it would be our fault if the identity of the user would be revealed in this way.

I know it's crazy, but I can't change it and I have to find a way to deal with it. Can you use CSS to change the default? That would be quite enough.

Thanks for your support, Bernd

(@berndg)

Reputable Member

@sofy

meanwhile I found a plugin, that ist changing the preselection and could even turn off the Gravatar ist wanted. It's Disable User Gravatar.

Just to explain why I insist on it so much, this is from an article about this European data protection law:

"Fines of up to 20 million euros or up to 4 per cent of turnover can be imposed for infringements."

That is quite a lot ...

Yours, Bernd