wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] How to Limit Number of Characters in Signature

5 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
 ice
Topic starter
(@ice)
Eminent Member

Is there any way to set a limit to how many characters a user's signature can be? Some spammers invaded my forum and added signatures that are very lengthy!!!

4 Replies
(@crisw)
Reputable Member

Hi @ice .  I'm not certain if we can limit the number of characters in member signatures.  What I know is we can only enable or disable Member Signatures.  

You can do that by going to 

1. Forum Dashboard. 

2. Select "Features" Tab

3. Then scroll to "Allow Member Signature"

4. Select "NO".

Hope this helps for now, if your forum spammers have put their spam links in their Member Signatures. 

Good luck and God bless you!  🙂 

P.S. You might want to do a Forum search here, there's a lot of tips from this community (and specific steps to take) on how to "minimize" Forum spam.  I've read those when I started my wpForo forum.  🙂 

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi @ice,

I'm sorry, but there is no feature to limit characters in the signature. We've already added the following hook wpforo_signature_length which you'll be able to use after the new version release. 

For now, I suggest you use the following CSS code, it'll clip the content, display an ellipsis ('…'). The code should be added in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Styles > "Custom CSS code" textarea. 

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap .wpf-field-name-signature .wpf-field-wrap p {
text-overflow: ellipsis;
width: 32%;
overflow: hidden;
white-space: nowrap;
}

@crisw thank you very much!  I really appreciate you taking a time and share this information. 

ice
Topic starter
(@ice)
Eminent Member

Thanks a lot @chrisw and @sofy

1 Reply
(@crisw)

Reputable Member

You are welcome @ice and @sofy . 🙂Â