Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] how to properly use wpforo with BuddyPress?

22 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
19.6 K Views
Topic starter
(@kibbles)

i've done some searching and read about this topic a little bit, but there are many things that needs going over. i'm to use this forum software instead of bbpress (because i like this one much more and i have not had luck with bbpress), but there are things i want to be clear on first.

first of all, how exactly does this plugin work with buddypress? for example i see that this plugin changes the wordpress profile and has a user grouping system. buddypress has these as well. so does this plugin replace buddypress or is it recommended to keep buddypress installed if it's already being used? if both of these plugins should be installed, how would the profile page and group systems work since both plugins have them?

21 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

wpForo Profile page is a Forum Profile. BuddyPress Profile page is a Website Profile. Currently there is no way to replace wpForo user profile system with BuddyPress. But they have  light integration and don't conflict with each others:

1. It detects BuddyPress Installation and adds “Site Profile Tab” on forum member profile page.

2. You can change Forum Login/Register/LostPass URLs to BuddyPress pages using wpForo Settings > Members > Custom Authorization URLs option.

3. wpForo automatically shows BuddyPress avatars and username in forums, topics, posts and on profile page.

1 Reply
(@kibbles)

by the way. back to the original topic. you mentioned that buddypress profile can't replace wpforo profile, but i was actually asking the other way around.

after using wpforo an understanding it more, i like the wpforo profile page a lot more than i thought i would. if all i'm using buddypress for is the profile and community aspects, then can't wpforo almost completely replace it?

the only differences i'm seeing is that buddypress registration configuration is more in depth, there is a friends and group system.

it seems to me like all wpforo needs to meet the complete replacement standard in terms of community is a friends and group addon plugins. i suppose the best compromise would be if wpforo had better integration with buddypress community features. like displaying friends and groups on the forum profile. i personally think it would do wpforo a world of good to have full friends and group integration with buddypress. a reason for this is because most other advanced forum software has friends and group features. it would be like killing two birds with one stone to have this level of integration.

perhaps i just answered my question on my own. any thoughts from you?

Topic starter
(@kibbles)

i see. so just to be clear. when using the forum register/lostpass/change login all of these changes are the same on the buddypress side as well?

the only difference is that the forum profile is specifically for editing the user interaction on the forums, other than the avatar and username which are the same and editable on the buddypress profile, right?

Topic starter
(@kibbles)

well apparently the server my host provides does not meet the system requirements..... will the wpforo system requirements ever change?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

well apparently the server my host provides does not meet the system requirements..... will the wpforo system requirements ever change?

Which exactly you mean?

when using the forum register/lostpass/change login all of these changes are the same on the buddypress side as well?

You should put Login/Register/LostPass page slugs generated by BuddyPress when it's being installed. So wpForo will be able to change own URLs to BuddyPress page URLs.

1 Reply
(@kibbles)

i talked to hostgator support again and they told me that the MySQL version running is 5.5.23. they said php.ini values can be updated on their end. they gave me a link listing all the information, telling me that shared/reseller are the closest stats to the wordpress optimized hosting plan.

so the main issue seems to be the MySQL... what can be done about this?

Page 1 / 4