Improving performance

12 Posts
4 Users
3 Reactions
marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

I’m looking for advice on how I can improve the performance of my forums using this plug-in. Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated: https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/forums

11 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Hi, I would suggest to move to a Litespeed web server but i do understand this is not easy.

So, you can try to use REDIS if available, with a Wordpress plugin. Keep in mind that it is not clear if object caching is working with wpforo.

The easiest thing you can do it to install and use this:

https://wpforo.com/community/general-discussions/speed-up-your-wpforo-forum-with-docket-object-cache-plugin/#post-105676

BACKUP FULL your site before any tests with Redis or Docket Cache.

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

On the back of this thread, I have managed to remove the culprits that were slowing our site down and have made a lot of progress. I'm left with one last thing that seems to be a recurrent "slow query" that's flagged by Query Monitor and was wondering if anything could be done to address this?

Please see attached.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@marsm,

Please make sure wpForo cache is enabled in wpForo > Settings > Board Settings admin page.

Also, please provide some information about the number of forum posts, about your hosting and MySQL database.

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Caching is on.

23,500 forum posts. What would you like to know about the SQL database?

4 Replies
adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@marsm In my wpforo forum, there are over 230,000 posts and more than 12,000 members. Enabling cache in wpforo will be very helpful, especially in reducing CPU workload and speeding up forum access.

marsm
(@marsm)

Estimable Member

@adisaputro, caching is on and the site is running quite well. It's just the slow query "error" we're receiving. The site is generally running well, but I'd like it to just be a bit quicker.

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@marsm Because wpforo is a WordPress plugin, you should also reduce the use of other plugins. Using too many plugins will disrupt wpforo overall. Do not use SEO plugins like RankMath or Yoast because they slow down the forum's performance and consume server resources.

Do not use any cache plugins because wpforo already has a built-in caching feature. You may also consider disabling the Post Revisions and Draft Saving feature in wpforo, as it will have a significant impact.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @marsm

@adisaputro, caching is on and the site is running quite well. It's just the slow query "error" we're receiving. The site is generally running well, but I'd like it to just be a bit quicker.

What caching is that? NO PAGE caching for wpForo. If interested to speed things up in wpForo, use REDIS or this

https://wpforo.com/community/general-discussions/speed-up-your-wpforo-forum-with-docket-object-cache-plugin/

marsm
Topic starter
(@marsm)
Estimable Member

We have got RankMath running – I'll consider deleting it, but it's been helpful with indexing and redirections. I deleted the rest of the plugins that were there just for fun, and that made a huge difference. 

Draft saving is helpful, but may remove post revisions. That's a good idea.

2 Replies
adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@marsm wpForo already has built-in SEO features, so you don't need to install any additional SEO plugins. It also has its own sitemap that you can add to Google Search Central (GSC), unless you have WordPress posts outside of wpForo. In that case, you may still use an SEO plugin if necessary, and I recommend Rank Math due to its lower resource usage. Additionally, you can integrate the forum with Cloudflare as a CDN proxy.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @marsm

We have got RankMath running – I'll consider deleting it, but it's been helpful with indexing and redirections. I deleted the rest of the plugins that were there just for fun, and that made a huge difference. 

Draft saving is helpful, but may remove post revisions. That's a good idea.

RankMath should have been banned from Wordpress ecosystem for many many reasons.

https://slickstack.io/forum/topic/why-did-slickstack-blacklist-rank-math-seo

Just DROP that plugin and use SEO Framework. The best and the fastest. and 100% free.