Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Mark all read cookies

26 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
Topic starter
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

@robert the eu cookie was the first i suspected so i have disabled it, still no luck.

And yes, i disabled ALL plugins, i mean ALL. Changed the theme to the default. I mean, i tried everything i could imagine. This is why i asked for help ...

😩 

Topic starter
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

@robert,

I have (for the next hours) disabled ALL plugins, and also switched to default theme. Never mind the visual problems.

As you can see, the problem is still there.

So i have nothing else to check, apart from wpForo. I have even disabled my mod_security.

The question is, is that function involve any DATABASE ? I can't imagine anything else.

Also i would appreciate if you help me more on this, since i'm on a dead-end.

Topic starter
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Also if you have no clue, what i will do next this afternoon is to completely remove wpForo and uninstall all the tables and install from scratch wpForo. That way i will see if the problem come from something else or from something in wpForo.

And then of cource restore a full backup. Still since this is a lenghty procedure for me, i will wait if anyone has some ideas i could search.

Thanks

(@crisw)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Anonymous20

If anyone else can help, i would appreciate it.

You can see the problem here:

https: // www . discovervenice . eu / community

(remove the spaces)

Thank you

@Anonymous20.  Just a thought, it might be caused by your WordPress Theme (Twenty-seventeen). The twenty-seventeen theme also pushes for updates, and sometimes it causes conflicts, so you can test that too, switch to maybe twenty-sixteen theme, and see if that "Mark as Read" still doesn't work.

The Twenty-seventeen theme has "bold" titles, by design. So I am not certain if the Wordpress Twenty Seventeen theme has an extra effect on its CSS files that makes room for "bold" or "bolder" effects for the "Mark as Read" effect of wpForo (of "bold" font when unread, and then "thin font" when read, since by design, the twenty-seventeen CSS for the headings are bold.  So I suggest you temporarily switch to another Wordpress theme, just to rule out, if this phenomenon might be caused by the Wordpress Theme itself.

Topic starter
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

@crisw It is not a matter of bold or not. No Cookies are send or stored for some reason. That is the problem, the cookies.

For example if as anonymous you click to mark all read, then a cookie from wpforo is placed (wpf_all_read). Not for me, and that is the problem.

And i assure you i have tried everything. Themes, plugins disabled, everything.

Now i'm doing some more tests to see what happens.

7 Replies
(@anonymous3542)

Honorable Member

@anonymous20 I'm happy to take a look at this for you (second set of eyes) if you'd like ?

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member

@anonymous3542 Sure, i would very much like to get any help on this. Just let me finish what i'm doing.

What do you need ?

(@anonymous3542)

Honorable Member

I tried your URL in the first page, but I'm getting a 403. Ideally, I need just a normal username and password - not admin) to see what's going on. I can of course subscribe for an account which is going to be more secure.

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: anonymous3542

I tried your URL in the first page, but I'm getting a 403. Ideally, I need just a normal username and password - not admin) to see what's going on. I can of course subscribe for an account which is going to be more secure.

Yes, i'm doing a restore of everything, after doing several tests. I will update you.

Many thanks.

(@anonymous3542)

Honorable Member

No problems 

(@crisw)

Reputable Member

@Anonymous20 .. just thought I'd respond.  You asked for "any suggestions", so I gave the first thing that came to mind, when I saw your website and took a screenshot.    

So that's ruled out.  How about the Browser that you are using?  Have you disabled cookies to be set in your browsers?  What about the plugins in your browsers?  (Since Plugins in browsers ALSO affects how we view the sites that we visit).   

If @Robert has responded with how the wpForo cookies are set, it's just a process of elimination of ruling out what might be causing it. 

I'm sure you know what you are testing, but as @anonymous3542 said (second set of eyes), sometimes when we are working on something too hard, and too close, it's also useful to get impartial viewpoints. 

Sorry if what I wrote didn't help.  Good luck!  🙂   

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member

@crisw I have tested all browsers, different computers, my cell phone. Same results.

As for your suggestions, all are welcome and thank you.

Page 2 / 3