4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Florian
Topic starter
(@florian)
Estimable Member

Hey,

in the wpForo account tab, users can choose between 3 different ways to provide an avatar: WordPress default, remote source, and local upload.

Please consider providing a way to remove single options. I, for example, don't want to provide the option to get the avatar from a URL. I only want "WP default" and localΒ uploads.

I know that it is possible to remove that option via CSS, but this is not optimal because it just hides the element and doesn't actually remove it. It could be surpassed easily. Better would be a way to really remove that option. Please consider this as a setting for a future update.

3 Replies
1 Reply
(@crisw)

Reputable Member
Posted by: Florian

Hey,

in the wpForo account tab, users can choose between 3 different ways to provide an avatar: WordPress default, remote source, and local upload.

(1) Please consider providing a way to remove single options. I, for example, don't want to provide the option to get the avatar from a URL. I only want "WP default" and localΒ uploads.

I know that it is possible to remove that option via CSS,Β (2) but this is not optimal because it just hides the element and doesn't actually remove it. It could be surpassed easily. Better would be a way to really remove that option. Please consider this as a setting for a future update.

Hi @florian .

(1) Here's how to NOT have the "Specify avatar by URL:" on your forum:

1) Go to Forum Dashboard,
2) then select Forum
3) Select the Styles tab
4) Add the code below to the Custom CSS Code

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap .wpf-field-type-avatar li:nth-child(2) {
display: none;
}

5) Then scroll way down and click "Update Options"

6) On the Front End of your Forum, refresh the page (Control F5)

7) Then on the Front End of your Forum, go to:

8) My Profile
9) Account
10) Under Avatar, you used to have three choices:

• Wordpress avatar system
  • Specify avatar by URL: <-- this should be gone after you put the above CSS code and you should only have the 2 choices you want.
  • Upload an avatar

"I know that it is possible to remove that option via CSS, but this is not optimal because it just hides the element and doesn't actually remove it. It could be surpassed easily. "

In my opinion, (and of course I could be wrong on this), if the URL option is NOT there, or not displayed, how can it be "surpassed easily" by a forum user, uploading an image that would represent them in a forum? (Since the user won't see it?Β  Even if some hacker intends to upload a picture via putting it in a URL field, what if the URL field is not displayed?Β  Kinda like putting water in a bucket that "used to be there" - a hacker might pour water in that "space" where the bucket used to be, but there's no container to hold it.Β  In Tech speak - "it won't apply".Β  So with that analogy, I'm not worried. πŸ™‚Β  Β ).

Try the code above if you want to NOT DISPLAY the "Specify avatar by URL:" for your forum users since that would answer your Item #(1)Β above.Β Β 

The code above worked on our other newΒ wpForo installation today, the same question and issue came up with my other tech peeps, so I added that code too in my installation - just sharing it with you (and the community - that's why it's step by step πŸ™‚ ) hopefully it will work for you (and others) too.Β  The URL issue, actually is helpful for some people like me, so I hope that wpForo doesn't remove the three options for Avatars, since you can hide 1 or 2 or all of them anyway.Β  It's good to have choices.Β Β 

I appreciate this wpForo plugin and how customizable it is.Β  Learning something new is always "challenging" at first.Β  But the awesome documentation that this website provides, we just have to be patient with ourselves as we learn something new.Β  Β 

Good luck and God bless you! πŸ™‚Β 

Florian
Topic starter
(@florian)
Estimable Member

Thank you for taking the time to post that here.

The point is that this CSS attribute can be removed by pretty much everyone over the browser's dev tools. The motivation for anyone to do this should be pretty low, but it's still not the optimal solution. Also, if someone would do that and provide a remote image, it would be displayed in the forum since we only remove the input field, not the feature altogether.

forummember
(@forummember)
Estimable Member

Thank you @CrisW it is working fine πŸ™‚

Β 

Β