Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Add Menu Links to Each Forum in Forum Menu Bar

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@thedrawingboard)
Trusted Member

We've just really begun using wpForo for our team, and it's been an awesome tool! 

I am wondering if there is a way to add a link to each of our Forums in a menu in the Forum menu bar at the top of the Forum.

• We have a lot of Forums within our team, with quite a few Subforums.
  • We are using the Extended Layout and prefer that layout above all others (so don't want to change). 
  • Because we have so many Forums and Subforums, you have to scroll down the page quite a bit to find the forum you're looking for.

I would really like to be able to have a drop-down menu that lists just the main Forums as a quick way for members to jump into that forum. 

I know how to modify the menus, but I don't know how to link to the Forums, since they are mainly just a "heading" that contains the subforums. 

Is there anyway to make this kind of menu? If so, how do I reference the main Forums (what are the custom links for them?). 

TIP: For anyone else that has a lot of Forums and Subforums, I shared a tip with our team to use the browser Search feature ([CTRL+F]) to move directly to the forum/subforum they are looking for. This is working very well for us - but a menu would be even better. 

Thanks for any input, ideas, or help!

5 Replies
1 Reply
(@crisw)

Reputable Member
Posted by: thedrawingboard

I am wondering if there is (1) a way to add a link to each of our Forums in a menu in the Forum menu bar at the top of the Forum.

• We have a lot of Forums within our team, with quite a few Subforums.

I would really like (2) to be able to have a drop-down menu that lists just the main Forums as a quick way for members to jump into that forum. 

I know how to modify the menus, but (3) I don't know how to link to the Forums, since they are mainly just a "heading" that contains the subforums. 

Is there anyway to make this kind of menu? If so, how do I reference the main Forums (what are the custom links for them?). 

Hi @thedrawingboard .  This article might help on how to customize your menu .. 

https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/many-issues-please-help-2/#post-23833

(1) a way to add a link to each of our Forums in a menu in the Forum menu bar at the top of the Forum.

(1) - Try this:

1) Open a blank notepad file:

2) Hover your mouse over a Forum Topic, then "rightclick"

3) Select "copy link address" 

4) Paste this onto your notepad file. 

5) Continue steps 2, 3 and 4, for all your Forum Topics that you want to include in your customized Forum Menu. 

6) Then go to your Wordpress Dashboard, 

7) Select "Appearance"
8) Select "Menus"
9) On the "Select a menu to edit" dropdown, select "wpForo Navigation (wpForo Menu)", then click the "Select" button
10) On the Menu Structure area is where you will add "Custom Links"
11)  Add the link addresses that you copied onto your notepad file in the "URL" area
12) On the "Navigation Label", just put whatever name you want for those forum links

13) Rinse and repeat for each forum menu you want to customize.  🙂 

I would really like (2) to be able to have a drop-down menu that lists just the main Forums as a quick way for members to jump into that forum. 

14) You can do that by making an "item" /Forum Label / Customized Link, as a "sub-item" by dragging it slightly to the right, while still in the WP Dashboard Menu .  (Example is if you click on your "My Profile" at wpForo, you will see the "dropdowns", Activity, Account and Subscriptions.  On the Menu side of things, those are "sub-items".  🙂  

15) Then under the Menu Settings, under "Display Location", make sure you check the box wpForo Menu

16) Click the SAVE MENU button. 🙂 

Hope this helps.  Good luck and God bless you! 🙂

Topic starter
(@thedrawingboard)
Trusted Member

Thank you very much @crisw for your very thorough response. I sincerely appreciate it, and those steps work well for creating links to the subforums.  🙂 

Do you know a way of creating links to the forums themselves? The category forums?
The forum bars are the headings at the top of the subforums that are nested beneath them. 

For example, here in the wpForo Support Forum, it's the blue bars: woForo Community; General Forums; Extended Layout, etc. 

I don't see a way to create a menu that links to those bars. 

I tried a custom link (like you mentioned in your instructions) to the slug for the main forums, but that didn't work. For example, I tried:  

/%wpforo-main-category%/

Thanks again! I really appreciate your time and help!

1 Reply
(@crisw)

Reputable Member

Hi @thedrawingboard .  You're welcome.

Now I am understanding the query better! (English isn't my primary language, so I translate in my head and figure things out in my native language and then translate it back to English using the written word... 🙂 .. sometimes drawings or pictures communicate better).

Posted by: thedrawingboard

(1) Do you know a way of creating links to the forums themselves? The category forums?
The forum bars are the headings at the top of the subforums that are nested beneath them. 

For example, here in the wpForo Support Forum, it's the blue bars: woForo Community; General Forums; Extended Layout, etc. 

(2) I don't see a way to create a menu that links to those bars. 

(3) I tried a custom link (like you mentioned in your instructions) to the slug for the main forums, but that didn't work. For example, I tried:  

/%wpforo-main-category%/

(1) Yes.  The "Blue bar" is a "Forum - Used as a Category", under Forum Options. The instructions I typed above are for regular Forums, or those that are under the Blue Bar.

BUT the above instructions also work for your query.

(2) Here's how to create Forum Menu links to a Forum-Category:

1) Go to Forum Dashboard
2) Select Forums
3) Then, notice the "Eye" icon on the farthest right of the blue bar.
Right click on the "Eye" icon, and then "Copy Link Address"
and then reuse the steps 1 to 16 above.  Same concept. 🙂

Hope that helps. Good luck and God bless you! 🙂 

P.S. Regarding this:

(3) I tried a custom link (like you mentioned in your instructions) to the slug for the main forums, but that didn't work. For example, I tried:

/%wpforo-main-category%/

I don't think the code you tried would work, since a forum can have a gazillion categories, and the Menu code won't know where to go, unless you specify the "Forum ID".  The codes I suggested on my earlier response are wpForo codes for the default wpForo Forum Menu links that I copy pasted from my own wpForo installation (since in the beginning, I also made several mistakes and lost my wpForo Menu and I had to reconstruct! LOL! That's why I know now how to fix it.) . 🙂

But if you want a Menu link to specific categories, the tip above is what I know how to do and it should work. Hopefully. 🙂

Topic starter
(@thedrawingboard)
Trusted Member

You are brilliant!

Thank you VERY much @crisw!

I hadn't thought about the "eye" icon in the forum list - was only trying to find the link from the forum side (not the dashboard side). 

This works PERFECTLY!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your time and instructions. 

Thank you very much. I hope I can help someone at some point, as much as you've helped me.

Cheers!

(@crisw)
Reputable Member

You're welcome @thedrawingboard . I'm glad it worked out and thank you as well for saying thank you and confirming that the steps worked.

This topic can help someone someday. So both you and I will help them too! 🙂

All the best!