Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Threaded replies. Reply Depth.

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@heathhettig)

Is it possible to reply to a post/comment and have it show up underneath it? Something like this? http://screencast.com/t/R2SMHxN2ci

Right now anything you reply goes at the bottom of the thread. 

Thanks!

8 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi heathhettig,

Classic forums don't support this, there are a very few forums which have built-in threaded posts.

This is a layout issue. We're planning to add two  new layouts in near future (next month):

• Threaded Layout
  • Minimalistic Layout

So the main Classic theme will have five layouts and you'll be able to use them separately or together (hybrid forum).

Topic starter
(@heathhettig)

Cool, so next month you're going to offer a threaded layout like I mentioned?

I was going to custom program something and I was looking at the tables and saw a parentid column that could be harnessed to accomplish the threaded depth. I didn't see any current association between the post  and the reply ... it looks like any reply they make is tied to the topic only. 

I will probably have to edit native wpforo code to achieve though, which is obviously a problem. If you can confirm that it will work like I asked, then maybe I can tell the client to hold off until the release.  Also, when it's released will it work retrospectively? As I mentioned, I didn't see any association between reply and post, so I would guess not.... but I didn't look at everything 🙂

Thanks so much!

Heath

Topic starter
(@heathhettig)

BTW, I think you guys are doing a great job with the forum! So thank you for all of your hard work.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: heathhettig

I will probably have to edit native wpforo code to achieve though, which is obviously a problem. If you can confirm that it will work like I asked, then maybe I can tell the client to hold off until the release.  Also, when it's released will it work retrospectively? As I mentioned, I didn't see any association between reply and post, so I would guess not.... but I didn't look at everything 🙂

Yes, we'll release threaded layout. There is a parentid field in _wpforo_posts table, this is designed for Q&A and Threaded layouts. Currently it's being used only by Q&A layout. The Threaded layout will display replies as an hierarchical list, like comment threads, but with forum specific style and data.

Also, when it's released will it work retrospectively?

Current replies don't save parent post ID, so it'll not support old topics and posts, those will be displayed as regular post list.

BTW: If you need to add some changes in wpForo you can use theme files. For example if you use the first Extended layout you should copy /classic/layouts/1/posts.php and past in /wp-content/themes/your-theme/wpforo/layouts/1/ directory. Then do any customization you want, it'll not be overwritten during plugin update process.

Page 1 / 2