Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] "Topic" ShortCode Not Working

20 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

I'm using the shortcode [wpforo item="topic" id="1838"] but it's loading the whole forum index, just as if I were using the [wpforo] shortcode.

I think the ID exists because it's in my moderation table (screenshot attached). 

Actually, I'm not sure if that's the topic ID because when I view the page source there's a different number for the post ID and topic ID but I've tried them both and it always just loads the whole forum.

What am I missing? Thanks!

19 Replies
Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

Update: I found the proper item ID and the database but it's still not working. I also tried the slug and that's not working either.

(As an aside, I also tried turning off the output buffer in the wpforo settings because I read that as a potential solution but that caused an error whenever I try to save a post: "Updating failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.")

1 Reply
Alvina
(@alvina)

@philraymond,

We've just tested it on our test website, and don't find such an issue. The shortcode for topics works as expected. 

Please leave the example URL with the issue.

Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

I figured something out. I had the 'Guest' forum permission set to 'No Access' but when I set it to 'Standard access', it works!

But I don't want guests to be able to see the forum so this seems to be a bug, no?

1 Reply
(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

Guest should have "Read only" access. Please never set them "Standard". It's only for guest posting

More info in the doc: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/wpforo-settings/forum-accesses/

Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

Thanks, but I don't want guests to be able to see the forum at all.

1 Reply
(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

Please leave a URL we don't know what you mean. Leave some URL, leave some screenshot and explain what you want to display for guests and what not.

Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

I can't leave a url because my site is password-protected. It's an online course.

But what seems to be a bug is that the topic shortcode doesn't work when a forum is marked as 'No Access' for guests - even if the user trying to view the topic is logged in. 

Page 1 / 2