Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] "Topic" ShortCode Not Working

20 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member

Again, if I'm logged in, shouldn't I be able to see [wpforo item="topic" id="493"] even if it's set to 'No access' for guests?

I'm a subscriber, not a guest, so I think I should be able to see it, but it only works if I set guests to 'Read only access'.

6 Replies
(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

There is no "subscribe" usergroup in forums. Forum accesses are based on Usergroups. You should make sure your user usergroup has "Read Only" access in that topic forum three.

For example, if the topic is created in Sub-forum C, you should edit all these forums and make sure your user usergroup is attached to Read Only forum access in each forum:

- Category A
----- Forum B
-------- Sub-forum C

Then go to Forums > Settings > Forum Access admin page, edit the Read Only forum access and make sure it allows users to view topics and replies.

I strongly recommend you read this post to understand how wpForo handles Forum Accesses for Usergroups and why the WordPress user roles have nothing to do in forum: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/user-roles-and-permission-issues/#post-21032

(@philraymond)

Trusted Member

@martin My apologies, I used the wrong terminology - my user role is 'Subscriber' and the corresponding usergroup name is 'Registered'. That 'Registered' usergroup can only see the embedded topic if the 'Guest' user group is set to read only access.

(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

Please provide scrrenshots. I don't see any information that can help understand your problem

1. Screenshot of each forum (forums of that topic) edit screen with permission settings

2. Edit screen forum access of that usergroup

(@philraymond)

Trusted Member

@martin Okay, here is a screencast for you: https://www.screencast.com/t/dS0xMqba

(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

I explained above that you should edit each item of the forum tree of that topic. On video, I only see you're editing and changing the "Take Action" forum. You should edit the "category" category and set the same permissions too. 

- Category
--- Take Actions

However, I still think there should be another issue. We'll test the topic screenshot and update soon.

(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

one more thing. Are you sure you use correct topic ID? Where have you got it from?

Topic starter
(@philraymond)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @martin

You should edit the "category" category and set the same permissions too. 

Makes sense, but again, I actually want to set 'No Access' for guests. I don't understand why I need to set guest permissions to 'Read only access' in order to allow admins and registered users to see the topic.

one more thing. Are you sure you use correct topic ID? Where have you got it from?

I got it from phpmyadmin, topic 493 (screenshot attached).

3 Replies
(@martin)

Support Team

@philraymond,

Set whatever you want to any usergroup. I just want to say you should do that for the whole three of category and forums. Not only to the direct forum.

(@philraymond)

Trusted Member

@martin Okay, well I think I've found a bug here and I think you're just not understanding what I'm saying, but that's probably my fault.

I think what I'll have to do is install a membership plugin to allow me to do what I want to do, which is only show embedded forum topics to registered usergroups - not guests.

(@crisw)

Reputable Member
Posted by: @philraymond

You should edit the "category" category and set the same permissions too. 

Makes sense, but again, I actually want to set 'No Access' for guests. I don't understand why I need to set guest permissions to 'Read only access' in order to allow admins and registered users to see the topic.

I got it from phpmyadmin, topic 493 (screenshot attached).

@martin Okay, well I think I've found a bug here and I think you're just not understanding what I'm saying, but that's probably my fault.

I think what I'll have to do is install a membership plugin to allow me to do what I want to do, which is only show embedded forum topics to registered usergroups - not guests.

Hi @philraymond

I believe what Martin was trying to point out is also what is in the documentation below.  You might want to review it.  

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/categories-and-forums/category-vs-forums/

I think that the error you might be seeing is because of the "Topic ID", like what Martin was alluding to might be incorrect.  You mentioned you got it from phpmyadmin. Topic 493? Do you have 493 topics/forums so far? 

You can try following the screenshot below that I took in order to get the Forum ID, from just the Forum Dashboard. Much easier.  🙂 I'm borrowing wpForo image and attaching it here. 

In this Example, the BLUE bar, is a Category (wpForo Community), the  Forum ID is 25 (I circled it, crookedly.. :-).

[wpforo item="forum" id="25"]

The Forums under it (wpForo Announcements), is a Forum, and the Forum ID for that specific wpForo Announcements Forum is 4)

[wpforo item="forum" id="4"]

So if you just want to show, for example, the "wpForo Community" CATEGORY, then you would create a separate Page, and just put the shortcode that is applicable to the specific Forum IDs that you want your Registered Members to view or access.

Hope this helps somehow.  Good luck and God bless you.  🙂 

(@crisw)
Reputable Member

Hi @philraymondFrom my example above, you can try the steps in the screenshot below, if you want the specific Forums under a Category to NOT be accessible.  

wpForo is a great user friendly forum, and they provide great step by step documentation as well.  There is however, a learning curve, just like anything else in life. So be patient with yourself as you are learning something new.  🙂 (We were all newbies once!) 

It can be challenging for developers to help out other new users of the wpForo forum, especially if they cannot provide screenshots.  I am still amazed and in awe of the generosity of the wpForo developers and the Team here.  I just wanted to chime in, I am just trying to also understand the "challenge" that you are having, that's why I am using screenshots.  🙂 

Good luck!  

Page 2 / 2