Clear all

A bit slow

34 Posts
5 Users
14 Reactions
Topic starter
(@danniee)
Honorable Member

I tried on mobile (iPhone) as well and the same thing.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Posting here takes 5 ms. Still this is a huge forum ...

Editing my posts here is almost instant ...

7 Replies
(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@dimalifragis definitely not 5 ms for a post to be added here for me. I tried with different computers, mobile, browsers and two ISPs and it still takes 5-7 seconds for a post to be added.

How long does it take for other members here to post?

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@danniee Ok, what is the deal here? That wpForo is slow?

(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@dimalifragis that is the topic, yes? You say a post here takes you 5 ms and I say it takes 5+ seconds. Are we both right? Would be interesting to hear what other members here say about it. I can record it if needed.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @danniee

@dimalifragis that is the topic, yes? You say a post here takes you 5 ms and I say it takes 5+ seconds. Are we both right? Would be interesting to hear what other members here say about it. I can record it if needed.

I'm sorry but you have a history of complains around wpForo and the support. You have left one star review at Wordpress.org, you ask "how bulletproof" is wpForo, you compare it to standalone php forums and now you complain again about posting beeing slow everywhere.

So again, what is the deal here? That wpForo is slow?

(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@dimalifragis Mate, why are you even arguing lol. I am simply asking a completely legitimate question. Why don't you just leave this thread instead of provoking a discussion that has nothing to do with the topic.

Yes, I am asking why it is slow to post. You don't need to repeat yourself. You claim it takes you 5ms, I say it doesn't. Now leave this thread for other members to answer.

And what is wrong with asking if the forum is future proof (not bulletproof lol). You are just making ad hominem attacks at this point, for what?

You don't need to reply to my threads moving forward as you contribute nothing other than making this forum look bad and a place where uncomfortable questions are not allowed to be asked.

I want to improve this forum software (obviously since I use it) but you just want everyone to shut up and be satisfied with that they got.

Now leave, thank you.

Edit: this post took 5+ seconds to post too.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@danniee I agree, it does take too long for a post to be added to the board once posted.

(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom there you go, thank you mate for confirming.

Topic starter
(@danniee)
Honorable Member

To be fair, it's much faster posting now on my own website after my host tweaked the server, actually faster for me than posting here, but still not anywhere near 5ms lol. Wish it could be faster but I assume Wordpress has its limitations too.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @danniee ,

I'm sorry but I have nothing further to add at this point. It would require extensive debugging of your website and forum to determine the cause of the slow posting. I recommend the pro support; they can dedicate several days to debugging your website and offer potential solutions.

The known slow posting reasons are:

1. Slow email sending service on your hosting. This is a known issue. Some hosting services or SMTP services sends emails very slow. When you post a new reply it sends emails to all subscribers so the time you're waiting is the time sending of all emails. 
  2. Something wrong with the database and table indexes. So the database works very slow.
  3. WordPress plugins that use the same hooks and do something when a post is submitted, so some plugins send time on their own processes.
  4. Device, internet or browser issues.

P.S. Here at wpForo.com we have hundreds and thousands of subscribers to all forums, so the posting of new replies or topics is not very fast as it's described in the #1 point of my list above. Also, we don't use super powerful hosting service for wpForo.

8 Replies
(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@robert got it, thanks for explaining in a respectful manner.

My forum is quite large too with over 7k members I think. Posting is ok now after the host tweaked the database and server, so I can definitely live with it for now. But of course, as a website owner you always look to save a ms here and a ms there.

Is it possible to deactivate the email sending feature? Just to try if it makes a difference?

I will definitely look into hiring your pro support for help and optimisation. Where can I find them please?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@danniee,

You can disable this permission of all Forum Accesses in wpForo > Access admin page. This option will stop sending emails to subscribers:

Update: this method will not stop wpForo checking each user's permissions to send emails. So this will not be 100% debugging solutions. wpForo will still spend time on checking each user permission to decide whether send the email or not. So the only 100% way to debug this is back-upping the wp_wpforo_subscribes table and truncating it in the database. 

The pro support can be found here: https://wpforo.com/pro-support/#plugin-support

(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@robert many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated 🙂

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@robert If I pay that $70, are you saying you will be able to make posting on my site slower? That would be great because it takes at least 8 seconds to post on my forum.... 

If you can guarantee me that you can get that down to less than lets say 2 seconds, then I would be happy to pay : )

(@danniee)

Honorable Member

@robertpercysgrowroom hi buddy. It's actually very dependent on the server I have noticed. My host tweaked my server so the site is super fast now even though it's a big site with over 7k members and hundreds of thousands of visitors.

Posting is nowhere near 5ms as that guy claimed in this thread - not on my site nor on this, and it's nowhere near as fast as some Invision Board forums I have visited, but now my forum is ok. It takes around 2-3 seconds to post - sometimes a little bit faster and sometimes a little bit slower. It's definitely faster posting on my site than for me posting here. Could be distance to the server.

But ultimately I would like to see if there is something the Wpforo guys can do to improve post spead going forward. I hope so.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@percysgrowroom,

I'm sorry but in 90% cases the posting slowness cannot be fixed. It is directly connected to the server and email services. wpForo pro support cannot fix such issues.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@robert Is it possible to remove the email notifications all together so the server doesnt have to send them or see who needs to receive them?

Is the slowness based on the factor?

What kind of server do we need to deal with the load ot make fast? Does it get wose the more members you have? So many questions here..... Can you help Robert?

Wpforo is great, but it does have some flaws. The amount of time it takes to post, and the private message function can be very slow. If this could be fixed, it would make the software even better than what it is. People are impatient, they want things now.... load time matters, the faster you can get it the better. So what can we do to improve posting time for members? 

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@percysgrowroom You have been given some possible solutions but you are unwilling to try.

Instead you use (for example) Litespeed cache, a plugin that is well known to instead of speeding up, it slows down all sites (for some unknown reason).

If the issue is with email, the solution is SIMPLE: Queue email and send it with batches.

If the issue is DB, use an OBJECT CACHE to speed things up, like Redis.

There are so many things to try. So many things.

BUT:

Magic can't happen. And "tuning" a server to speed things up, can only mean that previously the server and the db was POORLY installed and tuned. A hosting issue. So it is actually a pseudo-tuning.

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Posted by: @dimalifragis

You have been given some possible solutions but you are unwilling to try.

Bro, chill, there is no need to talk to people in that kind of tone man. What haven't i tried? If I remember correctly, I used lightspeed because it was recommended to me by someone on this forum!!! 

Now I have Fastest cache back. So how can you tell me i dont try to fix things man.

I have even offered to pay to get it fixed here mate, so I do not understand why you would suggest i am not even willing to try fixing it...... 

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @percysgrowroom

Bro, chill, there is no need to talk to people in that kind of tone man. What haven't i tried? If I remember correctly, I used lightspeed because it was recommended to me by someone on this forum!!! 

Now I have Fastest cache back. So how can you tell me i dont try to fix things man.

I have even offered to pay to get it fixed here mate, so I do not understand why you would suggest i am not even willing to try fixing it...... 

I don't see anything in my tone as you say, i just post what i have seen here from you.

Still, i apologize if you think that. As the OT suggested, i will step back.

Page 2 / 3