54 Posts
18 Users
64 Reactions
Robert
(@robert)
Support Team Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @percysgrowroom

I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade to the new version right now, there is nothing that really stands out as " d**n that's awesome". Especially if it is going to slow down my site, page speed is very important. 

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you do this decision. I've already listed all features, and you can clone your website to test the new version. So it's up to you, if you think the new 40 features of wpForo 2.0 is not enough for updating then you should not do that. Again, it's not slow, it just has 40 more functions which needs more resources, nobody says you should use all 100 features. On the other hands, if your hosting is a good hosting, you'll not have any issues with the speed for sure. Or you can disable many features to get even faster forum than before.

Again, you should know better if you need to update.

In case you want to say thank you !)
We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team.

Posted : 05/08/2022 12:39 pm
Macky reacted
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

@robert Thanks Robert, I dont mean to come across as unappreciative or disrespectful in any way, I know you guy shave worked hard on this. I am just letting you know what I think of it so far and I appreciate your reply. 

My plan is to give it a few more days, back up my site fully on Saturday night then make all the updates on Sunday. If it doesnt work out I can always revert back to the old version. 

I have very fast hosting, so hopefully there will not be an issue, but we will see. I will of course keep you all informed as I move forward with this 

Check out my Wpforo forum, lots of customisations and add ons 🙂
Percys Grow Room

Posted : 05/08/2022 12:58 pm
Robert and Vít Hofman reacted
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

@percysgrowroom Please do not consider this a negative reply to you, because it is not.

I have watched people here for 2+ years now to ask various new features, reasonable or not so reasobable.

Many of them are in wpForo2 and wpForo 2 has grown a lot. More code, more db tables, more ajax. So it is inevitable to become heavier. This is what we see in ALL big plugins or scripts.

Take Gutenberg for example. A heavy beast. At the same time PHP 8 is a bit faster, our hosting providers become better and faster.

This is how it goes.

In your place, i would wait a while, so all issues are fixed and then update. wpForo 1.9 will not be updated and not sure if supported for long. You will stay with an old version? For how long?

cheers

Posted : 05/08/2022 1:06 pm
Robert reacted
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Posted by: @dimalifragis

In your place, i would wait a while, so all issues are fixed and then update. wpForo 1.9 will not be updated and not sure if supported for long. You will stay with an old version? For how long?

cheers

yer man it seems as if we all have to update at some point, and I do like the look of the new version. I am sure everything will be fine when i make the upgrade. And if it isn't, I have you guys here to help if i need it 🙂 

Percys Grow Room

Posted : 05/08/2022 1:09 pm
dimalifragis reacted
Vít Hofman
(@vit-hofman)
Estimable Member

@percysgrowroom Exactly! wpForo 2.0 does bring a lot of changes and news, but basically, from the forum user's point of view, these are only minor changes. In addition, even the potential of forum images is untapped because you can't set different images for desktop and mobile or adjust the image placement. This way, the image looks nice either on a PC or on a mobile phone. But rarely on both at the same time.
Mainly, there is a lack of anything that would really excite users and stimulate an active discussion. For example, I wanted pushUp notifications so much.

If we do only what we can to do, we would never do anything.

Posted : 05/08/2022 1:16 pm
VereK and Macky reacted
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Posted by: @vit-hofman

For example, I wanted pushUp notifications so much.

Maybe the new version gives the team more of an opportunity to add new things like this in the future? A Lot fo work has been pu tinot this so we havent had many updates on the old version. But before work on 2.0 started, the team would always try hard to add these new features. I am hoping this will be the case for 2.0. Lots of new features to be added in the future. 

Personally I wanted live updates as things are posted and you dont need to refresh the page to see new posts. More like a live chat thing across the whole forum. I hope this can be done in the future. 

Percys Grow Room

Posted : 05/08/2022 1:19 pm
(@cmw14)
Estimable Member

I'm pretty much undecided, but I'm leaning towards leaving it for 6-months to a year before I upgrade to V2. Maybe when it's fully stable and fixes released.

I have been watching others upgrading, there has been a fair number of sites having troubles, all of which I can do without. I know this is to be expected with a major release. My reluctance is not based on anything other than my inability to fix things if they go wrong, and losing the service for my members is too stressful.

You see I don't have a dev site, I did try to clone, so I could test, but every time I tried it just hung, timeouts etc. My site is quite large, with literally thousands upon thousands of attachments, and well over 100K+ posts, maybe that's why the cloning died.

This means I would have to upgrade live, and that fills me with fear. My site is the best it's ever been on 1.9.9.2. Runs fast and has been stable.

Personally, I prefer the old theme/look than the new theme. It's a shame the old could not have been ported over so we had more than one choice of theme. Appreciate that might have been more work.

Full of praise for the Wpforo team, the sheer amount of work is incredible, you've done a fantastic job and the support you're giving the community after the roll-out too.

This post was modified 2 years ago by cmw14

Posted : 05/08/2022 6:24 pm
Macky reacted
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

@cmw14 Pretty much the exact same position as me mate. My forum is pretty big, and the conversion is going to be stressful. I may hold off for a while longer too, but i dont think i am patient enough lol 

I will update on Sunday, then see what happens and if need be ill revert back to the original versions, and upgrade in a few months. We have to do it sometime as there will be no future releases for version 1

Percys Grow Room

Posted : 05/08/2022 6:48 pm
(@novedddd)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @robert

@percysgrowroom ,

We're getting hundreds of request per second, our server is very busy at the moment due to addons updates and lots of concurrent visitors . So this is the server issue not the wpForo update issue. The major update increased page views more than 30 times.

I can also confirm that the the new update/version significantly slower. Installed the older version on a staging site, then upgraded. I'm sorry to say, but this new version needs a lot of work. It's also not a good strategy to completely remove the classic template of the previous version. I'm not a fan of the new look and I'm betting I'm not alone in that thinking.

Posted : 05/08/2022 7:40 pm
Robert
(@robert)
Support Team Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @noved

It's also not a good strategy to completely remove the classic template of the previous version. I'm not a fan of the new look and I'm betting I'm not alone in that thinking.

The classic theme is not removed, you can turn it on in wpForo > Themes admin page, however it's no longer supported by support team.

We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team.

Posted : 05/08/2022 8:01 pm
(@novedddd)
Trusted Member

It's also not a good strategy to completely remove the classic template of the previous version. I'm not a fan of the new look and I'm betting I'm not alone in that thinking.

The classic theme is not removed, you can turn it on in wpForo > Themes admin page, however it's no longer supported by support team.

If it's not supported, then it's destined to have issues eventually right?

Posted : 05/08/2022 8:09 pm
Robert
(@robert)
Support Team Admin
Topic starter

I don't think so, no it's not right, it will work without any issues in 99% cases, but it'll not have all upcoming cool features.

Posted : 05/08/2022 8:28 pm
(@novedddd)
Trusted Member

I don't think so, no it's not right, it will work without any issues in 99% cases, but it'll not have all upcoming cool features.

Ok thanks. What about the latest features that are now available now with v2? Will they currently work with the classic theme?

Posted : 05/08/2022 8:30 pm
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Posted by: @percysgrowroom

I will update on Sunday, then see what happens and if need be ill revert back to the original versions, and upgrade in a few months. We have to do it sometime as there will be no future releases for version 1

I have seen your site, it is big, with many plugins.

I would suggest to wait at least a month.

Posted : 05/08/2022 8:36 pm
Macky reacted
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

@dimalifragis Ok mate, you always give me good advice so I will leave it for a month or so. Thanks for the input

Percys Grow Room

Posted : 05/08/2022 9:24 pm
Page 3 / 4