Clear all

[Solved] Another Dodgy Update!!!

26 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Now, my site is down because there is an error connection the database of the host.... brilliant

Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

I gotta go out, and im going to have to leave my site broken!

Can I get some instructions on how to fix this next issue please ?

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Please calm down.

7 Replies
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@anonymous20

Im calm, you won't want to see what id be writing if i was really angry mate.

All good saying calm down when my site is broken because of someone else's mistakes. I have 2k new visitors come to my site every day, the longer this goes on for, the more unprofessional my site looks, so id like to see it sorted ASAP please. 

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

@percysgrowroom

Please wait a bit. I'll update this topic once I get a response from developers. The'll contact very soon. 

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@sofy

Thanks Sofy, I know you guys are working hard to fix it. 

You need to have a stern word with the developers. This is a regular thing, when we have updates, something is always broken, and another update is needed within 24 hours. 

We are always eager for more updates and features, but its better than we get them working properly, rather than finding bugs after release, especially bugs as big as this where new members can comment. This is something that is not easy to overlook, its clear the software was not tested properly before being released to us, and now all of the users of wpforo have to suffer for it. 

The blame gets passed down the line, from the developers, to you guys, then to me and other site owners. I don't appreciate being made look like this, it is very unprofessional, I rely on you guys to do your part properly, so I can do mine. 

The developers need to be held responsible for this, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Bugs happen in updates, i get that, and expect it, but this was a big one which is going to have a lasting effect on my membership. I just hope I can convince the new people who signed up to come back, and hope they haven't already found another forum to be part of instead of mine

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: @percysgrowroom

@anonymous20

Im calm, you won't want to see what id be writing if i was really angry mate.

All good saying calm down when my site is broken because of someone else's mistakes. I have 2k new visitors come to my site every day, the longer this goes on for, the more unprofessional my site looks, so id like to see it sorted ASAP please. 

Well i hate to post "lessons" to others but ...

What i do is NEVER NEVER update when an update is out. For at least 24 hours. Also i NEVER update on weekends.

Also before an update i always backup, so i can revert back in less than 30 minutes if something goes south.

But i guess you already know all that, since you run a big site.

I hope your site comes back and your loss in minimal.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@anonymous20

I know this, but never listen to it lol. I said to myself when i saw it, leave it 24 hours. but did not, I also said i should back this up before i do it, but did not lol. 

You live and learn ay, next time i will wait and back up, thanks for the advice. 

fawp
(@fawp)

Reputable Member

Hi @percysgrowroom

Well, it sounds like you knew what to do already but failed to do it!

I find it hard to blame the developers, especially when they provide great products for free.

But this is not the only reason why I don't blame them: software is complex and no developer can predict the myriad of plugins that may interact with their own and have an adverse effect.

Professionals would never update a live site with a new piece of software without having tested it on a dev/local/offline environment first, and certainly not before testing all the major features beforehand. They also have reliable backup copies.

The reason for that is that in IT development things will often go wrong because of complexity: testing stuff beforehand and having backups is the only way to mitigate that.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@fawp

I agree Fawp, no doubt this is my fault too, I got lazy, and didn't make the back up like I usually do. I will not happen again. 

But, I do blame the developers!! Its their product and it should be tested before release, I understand some bugs are hard to find, and may not be found until after release, but here we are talking about membership sign up, and new members accounts working properly this should have been check thoroughly before it was released IMO, and the fact that it wasn't, is the developers fault. Nobody else's. 

Also, this software is free yes, but that's the watered down version of wpforo, I have a fully upgraded version with all add ons, and it wasn't cheap. If i got this forum software for free, id be less inclined to complain when things like this happen, but I am a paying customer, I think I am well within my rights to complain when something as big as this happens  

And to add, I really like this software, wpforo is the best forum software I have found, and i have looked at a lot, it's a shame to see simple things like this tarnish their name. This could have all been avoided if everyone checked the software properly before releasing it.

Still, this wont stop me purchasing more updates in the future for the forum either, I do like Wpforo a lot, and the team in the forum here is always very helpful. But it doesnt change the fact that this was a big mistake to let slip through so many fingers. 

How many hands does it go through before it gets to us? The main developers team, then the wpforo team, i'm not sure, but it should have been picked up by some one IMO.

Just to add, I might own that website, but I am not a web developer, im not a professional, i have built the site and learned as I went along, so still make mistakes and still learning a lot too. This was a mistake i won't let happen again. In future ill do back ups, wait for the uploaded to be tested by others before downloading it myself, and then even test it on a staging site.

Sorry this is getting long, but I will add, the timing of this was terrible, and that has made it worse. I started a competition to bring in new members on september 1st, and loads of people were signing up, then this happened. Now I know that's not Wpforos fault, they didn't know about that, but it does add to my frustration. 

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it, I hate to come across like this, I prefer everything to go smoothly, but incompetence annoys me, this should never have happened, the developers, and wpforo, need to check updates harder before releasing them. And of course, I need to be more careful in the future too. 

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

@percysgrowroom

We need detailed information about what's going wrong on your website. Please leave several screenshots of the issue and let us know when exactly the issue has arisen. We just check and don't see any issues.

3 Replies
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@sofy

Well the issues came after the update, I noticed i was getting emails for new users signing up, but no new users being shown on the forum. 

This seems to be fixed with the patch. but after installing the patch, i was told to do this:

"Then execute this SQL in Hosting cPanle> phpMyAdmin Database Manager to activate those users who were registered last two days:

UPDATE `wp_wpforo_profiles` SET `status` = 'active' WHERE `status` = 'inactive'

Make sure the table prefix is correct "wp_", if not, just change it to yours."

I haven't done this part, I haven't been able to locate it in my phpmyadmin database.

I went to visit the forum, and it crashed saying " error connecting to database" which i assume has something to do with me not removing this code. 

Everything seems to be going ok now, maybe the file updated itself, i'm not sure. 

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

@percysgrowroom

Please change the role of the user with info[at]gvectors.com email address to admin and let us know. The developers will check to make sure everything is ok on your website.  

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@sofy

Thanks you Sofy, illl do that right now 2 mins

Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Done, you are admin now....

1 Reply
Sofy
 Sofy
Admin