Clear all

[Closed] gtmetrix performance tests

37 Posts
7 Users
10 Reactions
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

While wpForo doesn't suffer from all the above, usually the problems are related to poor hosting, errors that webmasters have no idea how to check or/and other plugin conflicts.

If you want you can (both the above users) post your urls, so wpForo support can check and probably others can help also.

Otherwise follow the Wordpress debug guide, posted at Wordpress.org and see how it goes.

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Thanks man, here is my URL:

https://percysgrowroom.com/forum/

Google tag manager was an issue and i didn't realise, i have fixed that and the site is much faster now. But still, no where near as fast as this site is. 

Changing the databases is the next step for me i think. it the only thing i can think of that I have not done. 

Any advice or feedback on how i can speed up the site is appreciated. 

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Well GT Metrix results are BAD.

But i see from your html source code that you have a heavy loaded site. All wpForo plugin, analytics, Yoast heavy monster and a heavy theme.

There are MANY things you can do before searching for a faster hosting.

The easy ones are:

1. BE 100% sure you do not have ANY errors/issues generally with Wordpress. Enable DEBUG.LOG and leave it for a day. Then check the LOG for ANY issues. If empty, DISABLE it.

2. Be sure you use at PHP 7.3 or 7.4

3. Disable YOAST and check

4. Install one of the two popular optimizers Autoptimize or Fast Velocity. That will reduce heavily your requests. BUT you NEED to exclude things. Both plugins (install ONE of them) need also some tuning, help is avaailable at their sites/forum.

5. Doing all that, between them check your site with GT Metrix or Webpagetest.org (ignore the security results from the later)

For the hard ones, find someone familiar with WP to help you out, since they involve several changes to your site.

Also note that NOTHING can replace the speed of Hosting. If your issues are a slow host service, there is nothing you can do about it but to change hosting. Still that must be verified from someone who knows and understands the cause of slowness.

Good luck !

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

on the front end of my site, the scores are good, its just the forum page that is the issue. Im not able to optmise it in the same way. 

Currently i use Fastest cache premium. It is decent but doesn't do what i wanton the forum pages. 

I tired Autoptimize, and it didnt work well. I have re installed the fastest cache

Thanks for all the help man 

You mentioned my them is heavy? What theme would you recommend to run with WPforo? 

Is the reason my forum is slow because i have all of the add ons? 

And sorry last question, will disabling yoest mess with my robot text and sitemaps? 

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@percysgrowroom

I wouldn't call frontpage scores good at 68%. Better than the forum? Sure. But not good.

Don't mix caching with optimizers. Also what "didn't work well" exactly means? Autoptimize works well but needs tuning. So does Fast Velocity optimizers.

You seem to be confusing caching and optimizers.

From your above reply you seem to not want (or be able) to follow a patern to find the cause of your slowness. If you do not find exactly the cause of your slowness, then there is not way to fix it.

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dimalifragis

I wouldn't call frontpage scores good at 68%

It isnt usually so low, I had to remove my CDN< because the forums "live notification" were sending too many ajax request and crashing the CDN. Plus i am in between caching plugins so that will make a difference, usually, it A+ on both sides mate. 

Also what "didn't work well" exactly means

It means it made my site slower, compared to what i am using now 

From your above reply you seem to not want (or be able) to follow a patern

From your above reply, riddled with sarcasm and a belittling tone, I don't want your help mate

Keep your advice, ill find some else where. 

My licences are up soon any way, ill just move over to some new forum software when the time comes

The cause of my site slowness is Wpforo. I come here for help as a paying customer for 2 years now, and i get this kind of tone..... Forget about it man 

If you dont want to help, dont answer the question. Or do you just get off on belittling people? 

6 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@percysgrowroom,

My answer to your question can also be very useful. As you can see I mentioned that the number of plugins is the first reason of the low performance: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/a-question-for-admin-on-optimisation/#post-47984

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@robert Thanks Robert, I saw the thread and its a great answer, thanks for taking the time to write all that out! It will be very useful 🙂 

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@percysgrowroom for the alternative, you can use generatepress theme, those theme is very light...you can use cloudflare too,

I am using Autoptimize plugin and thats worked without problem with wpforo...I am using shared hosting (combined with cloudflare) and loading very fast.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@adisaputro im just sorting out cloud flare now after i disabled it ages ago. 

Ill give this ago along with changing over databases and see how it goes 🙂 Thanks for the input man 

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@percysgrowroom, After visit your website, that was really really slow...over 10 seconds to full load.

This is my tips for you to speed up your WpForo site:

1. Reduce your plugins
  2. Optimize or reduce size of your website images
  3. Install Autoptimize to optimize your website script
  4. Uninstall yoast because this plugin is heavy and not needed when using wpforo
  5. Optimize your database
  6. Change your theme to generatepress
  7. Only using one layout for wpforo, in my experience threaded layout is fastest
  8. Reduce "Post Preview and Draft Saving" auto drafting interval= 1 minute, max number of revision= 3
  9. Deactivate statistic on wpforo
  10. Deactivate custom avatar, using gravatar only
  11. Disable socialmedia sharing features

Sorry, English is not my native language 🙂

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@adisaputro thanks mate, I appreciate your input, ill get to work on the list 🙂

I have short pixel for image optmising, Im going to add cloudflare on monday, just giving everyone notice before im messing with the site. 

Great input man, ill let you all know how it turns out 

Page 2 / 3