Clear all

Suggestion [Closed] Make forum more like a live chat

10 Posts
5 Users
7 Likes
Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Hi guys, is it possible to make the wpforro software more like a live chat? 

Like each time some one replies to a post it is update on everyone pages without having to refresh? 

Similar to the way Discord works? 

If not, we really need some kind of live chat function. The plugs I use are often faulty, but live chat is a much needed feature of any forum IMO. 

Can something like this be done?

9 Replies
VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

Running Ajax refresh functions to make forum topics almost live will punish most servers, especially if your forum is busy. It's also no small undertaking developing such a system.

IMO, unless you run one of those forums devoid of any knowledgebase content, chat and forums do not mix well, generally your forumites land up talking carp all day in chat and real content dies a slow death.

The best simple chat system I have tried on a dev board is https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-ajax-chat/ , it's very simple and does what it says on the tin without too much fuss.

If you want to liven up your forum a little bit you can use this code snippet to auto refresh the "Recent Posts" page (my members tend sit in the Recent Posts page all day so this works on my forums, YMMV).

add_action( 'wp_head', function () { ?>
	<script>
	jQuery(function($) {
	setInterval(function($) {
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div > div.wpforo-recent-content.wpfr-topics").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div > div.wpforo-recent-content.wpfr-topics>*","");
	}, 120000);
});
   </script>
<?php
} );

To make the Recent Posts widget auto refresh you can use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-auto-reload-widgets/ . It may be old but it still works on the latest WP version (I may have updated the java, can't remember).

With either the code above or plugin you not set the timing below 60000ms (1 minute) until you can test your server while it is under load at a busy time of day. 

Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Great info thanks mate

Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member
Posted by: @verek

If you want to liven up your forum a little bit you can use this code snippet to auto refresh the "Recent Posts" page (my members tend sit in the Recent Posts page all day so this works on my forums, YMMV).

Would this be possible with the PM page? Maybe that could work as a live chat in this case?

1 Reply
VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

I don't think so due to the structure of the PM system; live chat is a very different type of platform to a forum. You could build an Ajax refreshing system into the core of a forum but as I said, it would be serious undertaking requiring a full house permission mask, an idling system etc etc.

Have you tried the plugin I linked to previously?

Do you have space and server resources to build mini WPForo dev site to experiment on? If you do I would recommend setting same up rather experimenting and possibly breaking your live site.*

*Edit I even run WPForo and related plugin updates on a dev instance before doing same on a live site to make sure the update does not break things as they often do.

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)
Estimable Member

Maybe you can try flarum for live chat, but install it on sub domain

Page 1 / 2