Clear all

[Closed] Tick mark being replaced with special character

21 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@galos)
Trusted Member

While copying and pasting text into a forum topic, every time there is a new paragraph or tick mark, it is replaced with a special character (looks like the letter "a" with a carrot on top of it). I've even tried to copy it to a straight text file and then copy it back out so there's no special characters and it stays. In fact, when I edit the post by hand and replace the special "a" character with a tick mark, wpForo replaces my tick mark with a second special "a" character (€Â™). Why is it doing this and how can we use tick marks? (for example: can't would be replaced with "can€Â™t")

20 Replies
Tutrix
(@tutrix)
Noble Member

@galos

you transfer HTML formatting when copying and pasting, this formatting is also retained when editing
look at the source code

Example from your post here

Posted by: @galos

(for example: can't would be replaced with "can€Â™t")

looks like this

(for example: can't would be replaced with "can<span style="color: #000000;font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;font-size: 14.666666984558105px;font-style: normal;font-weight: normal;letter-spacing: normal;text-align: start;text-indent: 0px;text-transform: none;text-decoration: none;float: none">€Â™t</span>")
1 Reply
(@galos)

Trusted Member

@tutrix thanks for the quick reply. While I'm not seeing any HTML code in the source around the special character, you might be on to something with the copy and paste. However, when I copied it to a text editor and back out again, this happened with quotes and tick marks. I'll have to investigate this further and post back

Tutrix
(@tutrix)
Noble Member

@galos

test also the "Paste as text" Button in the editor

3 Replies
(@galos)

Trusted Member

@tutrix I did do this. On a mac, holding the "Shift" + "Option" + "CMD" + "V" pastes without any formatting, just text. Same thing going on

Tutrix
(@tutrix)

Noble Member

@galos 

I mean this button (see attachment) in the "wpForo editor"

(@galos)

Trusted Member

@tutrix OK I just found that and pressed the button. An alert popped up saying if I want to copy from rich formats like Word, that I will need to enable this again. When I pasted, the exact same thing happened. It's still putting special characters into the post

Topic starter
(@galos)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @tutrix

you transfer HTML formatting when copying and pasting

OK, this doesn't seem right. You are right in that I did copy and paste text from a browser but the same thing is happening whenever I copy and pate from Word, or even a plain text editor that I wrote a simple test out. As an example, on a mac, I opened Texteditor and typed the following by hand (no copy and paste):

This isn't a test "but this is"

and then I copied and pasted it into the wpForo editor, it showed the attached image (see attachment)

This can't be right. There are too many people copying and pasting from other sources to enter into the forum and this can't interpret symbols as special characters every time there's a copy and paste. This will break our entire use-case to deploy wpforo

3 Replies
(@galos)

Trusted Member

and for the record, here's the source code when I view source on that posting:

<div class="wpforo-post-content">
                        <p>This isn’t a test “but this is”</p>

Those characters aren't html but special characters. Check out the attached image, because the above source code is converting it.

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@galos 

What character set is in your header? Should be UTF8.

(@galos)

Trusted Member

@verek it is UTF-8

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

And you database? Should be utf8mb_unicode_ci

1 Reply
(@galos)

Trusted Member

@verek Sorry, for some reason I thought I replied to this, but apparently it did not go through. Yes, from what I can tell (see attachment), the wordpress_db is showing utf-8mb4_general_ci. Is there a better command that I should use to verify this? I've shown what I ran as a command in the attached screenshot. Let me know if you need further info. Thank you!

Page 1 / 3