Clear all

[Closed] 1.9.9.2 support

15 Posts
3 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@tarik)

Hello,

Thank you for working on updating Wpforo and I can see here that you already adopted the new V2 theme for the support forums.

I just updated my staging site to V2.0.5 from 1.9.9.2 and saw the big difference, but I kind like more the old theme, sturcture and colors and would like to keep it as long as possible.

my question is since I just updated my main forum to 1.9.9.2 few days ago which keeps the old theme and functionality, how long will you support this version??

When will I be compelled to go to the V2 version 

Thank you.

14 Replies
(@cmw14)
Estimable Member

That's a very good question 👍 

I'm also interested to know how long we can hope to receive support for V1.9.2. Appreciate at some point we will have to upgrade, but for many reasons, I have no plans to update to V2 just yet. Possibly next year.

RealAct
(@realact)
Reputable Member

@tarik and @cmw14 they have said they will stop supporting it "Very Soon", so I would strongly suggest you to create some type of staging site and start checking how things look and fix any issues on time before it's too late, and then you are caught up in a "Required" upgrade that you have less control over.

(@cmw14)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @realact

they have said they will stop supporting it "Very Soon",

If that's true, then that's a very harsh stance to take. I cannot upgrade as I cannot get a staging platform to work, every time I've tried it times out, and I'm not sure why. I think it's due to the sheer number of attachments. I've tried all manner of tools to replicate the site, all fail.

I've also seen the sheer number of problems V2 has brought to many and I fear my site would end up a smoking ruin, if I tried a live update. I also use ultimate member, and one response I've seen was "maybe it's time to reconsider using UM and use wpforo's implementation". In my opinion, UM is still far superior.

Anyway, if support is being dropped so suddenly after V2 release, then I shall freeze my site,  and get an external company to migrate me to another forum software platform, that offers longer support for their community on previous versions. I feel to drop support so quickly is a bit off!

1 Reply
RealAct
(@realact)

Reputable Member

@cmw14 In my opinion you'll have far more issues with a migration to another forum software, let alone the cost. It will NOT be cheap.

I manage a huge site with over 25k forum members, and I have been able to create staging sites many times with little difficulty. Would you mind me asking you what software you have used to create the site clones?

I use and recommend Updraft Cloning service, it's very cheap, and they can manage any kind of site no matter how big or complex, and they have good support and will help you if your clone is not working for whatever reason. Check them out. Their clones are an EXACT copy of your original site, and you can even access it via FTP/SSH etc.

Cheers!

(@cmw14)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @realact

I use and recommend Updraft Cloning service, it's very cheap, and they can manage any kind of site no matter how big or complex,

Thanks, for the recommendation. I've kicked one off this morning, fingers crossed it clones, though I'm expecting it to fail like the others. I hope it doesn't as I'm at my wits end 😥 

1 Reply
(@cmw14)

Estimable Member

As I suspected, 3-hours later, the clone failed.

Page 1 / 2