Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] All roads lead to sign-in

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@atomzpro)

Bear with, as this is a little complicated!

I have two boards; one free and one for members. The "free" one can work 'as is' now, ie when someone clicks the "Add Topic", and is not logged in, the 'Welcome"' dialogue opens to invite them to register. My problem is with the "private" / "member" board.

I have disabled the "enable registration" option, and tried custom URL, but still, when ever someone clicks the "Add Topic" button, up pops the username/password/ create account option. In both cases, the redirects are to "sign-up" ... which appears to be a call to "login.php" (I tracked the "Welcome!" text) since "sign-up" is neither a page or a post.

"So how will paid members create a forum account?" The other app creates a Wordpress user when people signup, which appears to be where wpForo stores its users.

I've tried setting custom URL, but seems to make no difference; still goes to "sign-up".

Short of messing with "login.php", and adding a conditional to show loginA or loginB - which I don't really want to do as any update will wipe it out, can I add anything to "function.php"?

On a tangent, now WPForo's V2 recaptcha doesn't support Google's V3 keys, someone suggested adding an extra plugin. But I can't see how that would help as I can't get access to 'hidden' "sign-up" code

3 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @atomzpro,

wpForo reg cannot be set different for 2 boards, as it's about registration in the Website, not in the boards.

You cannot have a Private board if you have a public one, as the usergroups options, which allow entering the forum, are for both boards. But you can set the Content(Categories > Forums > Topics and post) in that Board Private, using Forum Permissions option(which Works with Forum Accesses and Usergroups) for needed Categories and Forums.

You can give access to the private board by changing the User usergroup manually or, You can use a membership plugin. And when the Users Reg in the website, they get access to the private Board by which Membership option they have choosed.

Example: users chose free option and get access to the public Board, or they choose paid option and get access to the private board. And all this depends on what usergroup users get when they register and the usergroup depends what User Role they get by selecting their Membership(this would work only if wpForo Usergroups are synchronized with WordPress User Roles).

I'm not familiar to membership plugins which have option for Different reg option, but I guess you can find one which can do that.

Topic starter
(@atomzpro)

Since the membership app protects pages, I WAS going to use shortcodes to link to particular forums, and then protect those pages. But that won't work as there seems to be some sort of "interaction" between my theme and the shortcode such that it seems to place all the <divs> in one long column, and adds padding inbetween.  It shows the top bar as four rows, 5 rows spacing, the topic, 5 rows of spacing, the message, 5 rows, the footer, 5 rows, admin footer as rows ... (From a brief look, I wonder if there is a "</div>" missing before the "$forum as $forums" line ... although I'm sure both main code / shortcodes use the same 'engine'

I have currently set it up so the free members are in "guest" usergroup, and that has all options disabled, (which I read in another article), and for paid members to be in the "subscribers" usergroup with full read / right access.

The wpForo default is that if a user is not logged in, "login.php" displays a prompt for their username / password, and if not registered, invite them to register for a (free) Wordpress account. So I will change that to remove the 'register for account' option, and instead redirect them to the membership app signup to create a "free" account, or log in if a member. (The app will also create the Wordpress user account when they sign up for a free account, so wpForo should be happy!)

If they log in to the free account, they will be able to see the board associated with the "guest" usergroup, but not have any rights to submit topics or comments. If they log in as a paid member, they will have access to the board associated with the "subscriber" usergroup.

That's the theory anyway, although checking involves being logged in as admin with Firefox, and using Opera as the non logged in user!! At present, I'm still trying to get the main menus etc to jump to the correct pages / boards / forums.

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@atomzpro,

About the membership registration, if you don't want that the users registered from wpForo form, you can disable User Registration option in wpForo Login & Registration Settings.