[Solved] Forum permissions

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@pheck1964)
Eminent Member

Hello,

customer wants to have 2 forums, one only accessible by a special user group. I realized this by creating a secondary user group and assigning only those members to that group, which should see the restricted forum. This works generally fine.

If a user is logged in, not entitled to see the restricted forum, this user only sees the non-restricted forum and could post new topics - so far so good.

BUT: When this user from within the forum home screen clicks on "Add Topic" button, he could select from the 2 available forums. When he clicks on the forum he is not allowed to see, the post form is displayed and could enter headline and content and click on submit. Nevertheless, no entry is created in this forum (I guess, due to the fact, that he is not allowed to do so). 

Question here: Is there any chance to hide the 2nd forum to be selectable when he is entering a new topic? See picture on the dialog, I refer to - user is only entitled to see "Forum B" but in the select dialog, also "Forum A" is displayed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter

5 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @pheck1964,

Navigate to wpForo > Forums, edit the A forum, in the Forum Permissions, set No Access For the Usergroup which must not have access to it.

You need to control the Forums by the Usergroups and Forum Accesses.

Topic starter
(@pheck1964)
Eminent Member

I have done this already (see attached picture to this reply for the settings of Forum A) - but a registered user, not belonging to secondary access group "Forum A" still sees the Forum A in the selection of the forum to post to - as described in my initial post.

I consider this as a bug.

3 Replies
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@pheck1964,

There is no Bug with Forum Permission, 

Check the Forum Permission set for that Usergroup in the Parent Category of the Forums.

The New Topic Button that you mentioned is the Category button, so you need to work on the Category Permissions a*s well. 

(@pheck1964)

Eminent Member

@chris Thanks for the hint.

Indeed - I created one Parent Forum and placed both forums below.

After creation of a parent forum for each of the two forums and selecting the right permissions, everything works fine now.  

Cheers Peter

(@engin)

Trusted Member

Hi @pheck1964 

I went thru the same. 😎

Why don't you create a new User Group for Forum A? (Call it Forum A )

Enable this user according to your Forum entry requirements. 

Navigate to wpForo > Forums, edit Forum A, and in the Forum Permissions for Forum A, select Forum A.

This is how I did for my Private forums and it should work for you too.

Cheers