Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] How to assign multiple forum groups to 1 user + Syncing with secondary/multiple Wordpress user groups

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@intellicoach)
Eminent Member

Hi Team,

I am facing a potential limitation and would like to confirm the functionality that WPForo offers.

#1. I have users who must be in 2 or more forum user groups at the same time. How can I accomplish this? This is the case when they attend multiple different courses on my platform, which gives them differential access to certain parts of the forum.

#2. On Wordpress user level, all my users are 'Subscriber' as primary user. Then they one or multiple secondary user roles assigned to them, depending on the course they take. I tried to sync user groups, but it seems like the syncing does not pick up the secondary groups?

#1 above would be quite a show-stopper for me, #2 would make things a lot easier.

Look forward to your response!

Best, Maik

5 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @intellicoach,

Posted by: @intellicoach

#1. I have users who must be in 2 or more forum user groups at the same time. How can I accomplish this? This is the case when they attend multiple different courses on my platform, which gives them differential access to certain parts of the forum.

You can Create New Usergroups and set them as secondary Usergroups, Using the Secondary Usergroups you can give your User differential access to certain parts of the forum.

Posted by: @intellicoach

#2. On Wordpress user level, all my users are 'Subscriber' as primary user. Then they one or multiple secondary user roles assigned to them, depending on the course they take. I tried to sync user groups, but it seems like the syncing does not pick up the secondary groups?

In wpForo One User Role cannot be synched with multiple Usergroups.

If you need that Subscriber User Role to be Synched with Registered Usergroup and also that your User can have Secondary Usergroups for getting differential access to certain parts of the forum.

You can use a User Role editor Plugin to create a new User Role and assign Secondary Usergroups to the new created User Role.

4 Replies
(@intellicoach)

Eminent Member

@chris This is excellent and solves most of my challenge! I set up my groups as secondary and it already works!

On #2, I don't get it fully yet.

I already use a User Role editor Plugin and I seem to have in place what you say. Wordpress users have secondary roles assigned and those also have corresponding groups in WP Foro. You mention 'You can use a User Role editor Plugin to create a new User Role and assign Secondary Usergroups to the new created User Role.' Would secondary Wordpress user groups sync with secondary WP Foro user groups?

Example:

User 1:

Primary Wordpress Role: ABC

Additional Wordpress Role: DEF

Primary FP Foro User Group: GHI

Secondary FP Foro Group: JKL

I already sync ABC with GHI and it works. Are you saying I can also sync DEF with JKL?

Thank you!

Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@intellicoach,

You can Synch wpForo Usergroup with additional User Roles, just make sure that you have assigned one Usergroup to the User Role, wpForo won't synchronize with WordPress User Role if there is more than one Usergroup assigned to the User Role,

(@igor-lohman)

@chris Hello! Please tell me - do you ever plan to implement what I answered above to @intellicoach?

In words, everything seems to be simple and this is a necessary function for all member sites, but it seems difficult to do for some reason.

(@igor-lohman)

@intellicoach Hello! Please tell me - have you solved the problem with automatic synchronization of secondary groups?

I also have a plugin that adds secondary roles to users. I want these secondary roles to be automatically assigned secondary groups.

It seems that WP Foro cannot implement this feature. @chris

Some scripts and hacks are needed here.

Or do you add secondary groups manually?

Because of this, it is now impossible in WP Foro to automatically present different levels of access to different forums to one user.

This is only possible if you manually log in to the user's Profile and activate the secondary group with your hands.

When there are hundreds of people, it is impossible and wrong

The WP Foro - User Custom Fields add-on is also not suitable. Because the user needs to manually select the group himself when logging in.

This is not suitable for membership sites. Because it doesn't have to be decided by the client. Child roles are assigned automatically after the purchase of courses.

But WP Foro cannot yet automatically assign child groups to these child roles.

That is, in fact, the plugin does not yet provide a simple function - to AUTOMATICALLY give different access to Forums to one user.

It is strange that this function does not exist. If the plugin synchronizes the group with the main role, then why does it not synchronize secondary roles with secondary groups?

I see that this is a popular request on the forum. In addition, all member sites use secondary roles.

Otherwise, the plugin is cool.