Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] How to diminish as quickly as possible 404 errors resulting of the switch from phpBB to wpForo ?

7 Posts
3 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@le-bear)
Trusted Member

I know this topic is not directly depending upon wpForo, but as I am sure to not be the first having done this switch, there might be some wise advices here about the best way to get Google to quickly show the new urls of  searched topics.

My forum get more searches than my blog pages, and I would really like it if people could find what they search (which is still there, but with a different URL ) rather than get a disapointing error 404.

I did put the /viewtopic.php? url in the suppress pages in Google search console, does not seem to really make a difference.

Any idea about the best way to help google find the proper url faster?  I did put /forums/sitemap.xml in the search console already.

Thanks for your help,
Bernard

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @le-bear,

wpforo doesn't control google indexing. We cannot do anything from our side to speed up the indexing. It's all about google

4 Replies
(@le-bear)

Trusted Member

@chris I know that, Chris. I was asking for ideas, hints, from people who have done that before me.

Tutrix
(@tutrix)

Noble Member

@le-bear 

you can test a plugin like > Redirection

(@le-bear)

Trusted Member

@tutrix I will look at it. Thanks !

(@le-bear)

Trusted Member

So, I installed and setup Redirection, it seems to work well. Good advice,  thank you.

Topic starter
(@le-bear)
Trusted Member

After some thinking, here is my solution, knowing that "bearforum" is my phpBB database name:

SELECT  concat('/forums/viewtopic.php?t=',bearforum.phpbb_topics.topic_id) as T, concat('/forums/', wp_wpforo_forums.slug, '/', wp_wpforo_topics.slug) as forotopic  
FROM LeBearCNC.wp_wpforo_forums, LeBearCNC.wp_wpforo_topics, bearforum.phpbb_topics 
where wp_wpforo_topics.forumid=wp_wpforo_forums.forumid and wp_wpforo_topics.title = phpbb_topics.topic_title and wp_wpforo_forums.slug <> 'presentations';

And here is, after import, how it looks like in redirections:

Maybe it can help some others converting from phpBB to wpForo