Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] How to have a fast forum

8 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

I have struggled for a while with a slow forum. And have spent a while trying to find out what is wrong, and how I can fix the problems. 

Today I finally got my forum to a decent speed ( between 2-4 seconds with no optimization) so I thought I would share what I think made the big difference. 

Changing to a light theme helped a little, but the single most important change was databases!! 

Move all databases over to InnoDB, except for:

• wp_wpforo_likes
  • wp_wpforo_visits

Those should be on MyIsam. 

This more than halved my load time! from 8-10 seconds, to 2-4! This was a big move. 

Keep plug ins as low as possible, and make sure your wpforo caches are all enabled. 

You do not need an optimising plug in with these settings. But you can use one if you like. But make sure you either exclude the forum url ( https://example.com/community/ ) from any caching, and the Java code:

wp-includes/js/tinymce

from any js optimizer 🙂 

Thats about it! 

7 Replies
adisaputro
(@adisaputro)
Estimable Member

@percysgrowroom finally your forum can run faster 🙂 congratulations.

If you moved to php 8, your forum can running more fast, 2-3 times more faster

but make sure your plugin is compatible with this brand new php.

combined the script, compress the images, make sure file request as low as possible, using CDN, etc can make different result too.

btw good job

4 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member
Posted by: @adisaputro

If you moved to php 8, your forum can running more fast, 2-3 times more faster

Not so. WP 5.6 is a beta version for PHP8.  And for the time being, the actual performance improvement for web applications such as WordPress is minimal.

I can't even see PHP 8 for Cpanel, but this could be just me and my hosting.

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis yes first of all make sure themes and plugins are compatible with php8, WP 5.6 and wpForo can running smoothly on this brand new php

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member
Posted by: @adisaputro

@dimalifragis yes first of all make sure themes and plugins are compatible with php8, WP 5.6 and wpForo can running smoothly on this brand new php

https://developer.yoast.com/blog/the-2020-wordpress-and-php-8-compatibility-report/

From Wordpress.org

“Beta compatibility”

Calling WordPress 5.6 “beta compatible” is a good first step. Doing so acknowledges the hard work that has been done to get WordPress running on PHP 8 without major issues and achieve passing PHPUnit tests. It also honors the project’s commitment to being compatible with the new versions of PHP when they are released.

At the same time Core cannot claim “full compatibility” because the process to achieve that state takes a larger amount of time within the greater ecosystem. That’s where WordPress Core needs help.

All plugin and theme developers, as well as hosting communities, are called on to make their code compatible with PHP 8. This will allow WordPress to attain truly “full compatibility” sooner, and without end users having to carry the burden.

It’s also worth noting that all known compatibility issues that were identified through automated testing or static analysis have been addressed, except those detailed further down in this post. Automated test coverage of WordPress Core needs much improvement, and some problems will require manual testing of WordPress on PHP 8 under varying conditions to discover.

For the reasons above, it is highly recommended that you thoroughly test your site before upgrading to PHP 8.

adisaputro
(@adisaputro)

Estimable Member

@dimalifragis I can say WP 5.6 and wpForo can run smoothly on PHP 8 because my forum running on that 🙂

(@findbmx)
Eminent Member

Thank you very much!

The other day I was trying to optimize my database but then realized that woforo tables are mostly InnoDB. So I was wondering if I should change them to MyIsam or vise versa, and found the answer here. 👍

But do wpforo experts confirm this solution? is it completely safe? 

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member
Posted by: @findbmx

Thank you very much!

The other day I was trying to optimize my database but then realized that woforo tables are mostly InnoDB. So I was wondering if I should change them to MyIsam or vise versa, and found the answer here. 👍

But do wpforo experts confirm this solution? is it completely safe? 

All kind of false benchmarks are presented here, to be honest. I do not get all those MyISam fixations.

Just use the Internet, for example:

https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/mysql-performance-myisam-vs-innodb/

https://www.theserverside.com/video/How-MySQL-InnoDB-vs-MyISAM-data-engines-compare

For me, Innodb and forget the rest. Myisam is NOT developed any more.

If you have speed issues, db engine is NOT the source, it is your hosting. Also manually changing db engines back and forth is NOT the way to go.