Clear all

[Solved] Manual re-activating users that change their password

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

@chris Still working through the problem, but I can clarify one thing.

This is not happening when users CHANGE their password. This is happening when a user goes through the RESET password process. They get the email with the reset URL. Then they enter their new password, that is when they get the message from wpForo that says their account is waiting for approval. Like the image attached below.

So it appears that if I have "Enable User Manually Approval System" set to yes, it is not just for new users, it is also for users that have reset their password.

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@cotner,

Posted by: @cotner

So it appears that if I have "Enable User Manually Approval System" set to yes, it is not just for new users, it is also for users that have reset their password.

Yes.

Manual means manual, so if the users does a reset password, he has to go through manual approval. 

Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

@chris

I guess that seems very odd to me since these users have already been approved. To me, this should be used for newly registered users only. But I guess I will just have to deal with it.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@cotner,

Can you explain the difference between changing password and password resetting process?

Please explain the steps one by one.

Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

@robert

Since I switch over to a WordPress based message board many months ago during the hockey off-season, many users are coming back to the website to login now that the new season started. They will have to reset their password because in the transfer process, their old passwords from phpBB are gone. They need new ones for WP/wpForo

So they need to go through the lost password / reset password process on my site. This is via the dedicated wpForo reset/lost password process.

They submit to have their passwords reset. Get the email with a link to get a new password. Once they enter their new passwords, they are told they will need to wait for the admin to activate their account.

So they already have accounts... They just needed a new password.

So this is different from the process where they can login and change their password within their profile. That process works fine.

It is just the users who already have accounts and are going through the process to get a new password. Those are the ones I need to manually approve, even thought their accounts already exist. I thought the manual approval process was just for brand new accounts.

Hopefully this makes sense.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@cotner,

All is correct. That kind of resetting password requires manual approval. They have never logged-in in WordPress, they don't have corresponding data in the database, so it's impossible to deffer them from just registered users.

Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

Ah... So it is just a growing pain from making the switch to a WP based message board.

Understood!

Thanks for your help guys! It is much appreciated! Great community here! Learning something new each day.

Page 2 / 2