Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Private form is not totally private. Please confirm if my method is completely secure.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@amityweb)
Eminent Member

Hi

Our forum needs to be private. 

So in Forum Accesses I unchecked all Read Only settings (because removing all the Guest group permissions had no effect).  

I expected to be shown a login form on the forum when this happened. But it doesn't. It show the forum, but shows empty posts.

So my idea is do a redirect on the page, unless its Register, Login, Forgot Password process. 

But I would like to know, if I add a redirect if the user is on page /forum/ for example, is there any other way forum data could be viewed and indexed by Google, maybe via some other plugin link?

Thanks 

4 Replies
(@martin)
Support Team

Hi @amityweb,

It's totally private. You should edit each forum of the forum tree and set no access to the usergroup you want. This is a result of wrong configuration. 

1 Reply
(@martin)

Support Team

Make sure all forums from the top parent category to the lowest sub-forum are edited and set No Access to the Guest and all usergroups you need to hide. Read this instruction as well: https://gvectors.com/how-to-set-up-private-forum/

Topic starter
(@amityweb)
Eminent Member

thanks

Topic starter
(@amityweb)
Eminent Member

If I have set Read Only access to remove all permissions, then should be OK? 

Here is my redirect code for reference, seems to be working well:

function wp_foro_redirect()
{
	if(!is_user_logged_in())
	{
	    $postid = get_queried_object_id();
		if($postid == '1234') // ID of page where WPForo shortcode is
		{
			if($_GET['foro'] != 'signin' && $_GET['foro'] != 'signup' && $_GET['foro'] != 'lostpassword' && $_GET['foro'] != 'resetpassword' )
			{
				wp_redirect( '/forum/?foro=signin&redirect_to=/forum' );
				exit;
			}
		}
	}
}
add_action( 'template_redirect', 'wp_foro_redirect' );

And remove sidebar on the register, login, forgotpassword pages. Needs classes added to <body> for logged in/logged out. 

.user-loggedout .wpforo-content 
{
	width: 100%!important;
}
.user-loggedout .wpforo-right-sidebar,
.user-loggedout #wpforo-footer,
.user-loggedout li.wpforo-recent,
.user-loggedout li.wpforo-home,
.user-loggedout .wpf-search-form
{
	display: none!important;
}

And added disallow to robots.txt for the forum URL.