Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Display phpBB posts that have quoted posts in a reply in wpForo

13 Posts
2 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter

@robert 

Hi Robert, dragging up an old thread but I assume there is no way to account for phpbb posts that have quoted posts in a reply to display in wpforo properly? It can be difficult to decipher a post that has been imported that has one or multiple quoted previous posts...

I understand it would probably to difficult to distinguish between a normal post and quoted post with the import tool and they would all be combined and written to a single field in phpbb but if I'm wrong and it is meant to support the import properly then let me know.

3 Answers

Thank you, @saeb,

I just checked and didn't find any quote HTML tag in the source of this post. I'm sorry, but this is impossible to fix.

I think, this is the phpBB version issue. Go2wpForo doesn't support your phpBB version. Because this is the first time I see such an issue with phpBB migration. In any case you have only two choices, either leave it as is or contact to custom migration services like gConverter and ProfProjects to do a new forum migration:

In case you want to say thank you !)
We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team.

saeb Topic starter 01/06/2021 5:09 am

@robert 

Thanks Robert. Do you know the last version of PHPBB that is worked in?

Robert Robert 01/06/2021 11:47 am

@saeb ,

The quoted content is already saved in x version in the database posts table, so even updating the forum will not help. We could help if you send a download link of the phpBB forum phpbb_posts table backup file (compressed as .gz or .zip). I think something is wrong with your forum content, it's not regular, or it has been migrated from other forum platforms. Also, please provide a link of wp_wpforo_posts table backup file (compressed as gz or zip) so we could compare and see what was gone wrong. This topic is private, you can leave the table backup file download links without any worry.

saeb Topic starter 06/06/2021 9:26 pm

@robert 

Thanks Robert.

Board was always phpbb and has never been changed, only updated.

Version is 3.3.0, I was putting off updating to the latest version at this stage.

[removed]

Hi @saeb,

I'm sorry, but it's almost impossible to follow you. The wpForo and Go2wpForo tools are free, please do the migration and let us know if you see any issues with the quoted posts. They'll not look identical for sure, but they should look as quotes.

There is no deep support and customization service for forum migrations, this is a free tool. Please read the information: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/migrate-to-wpforo/

We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team.

saeb Topic starter 20/05/2021 7:42 pm

@robert 

Hi Robert. Quoted posts that were made in phpbb when imported into wpforo do not look quoted in any shape or form.

They all look like one big sentence with the quoted post and the replied post combined.

Robert Robert 22/05/2021 10:37 am
Posted by: @saeb

Hi Robert. Quoted posts that were made in phpbb when imported into wpforo do not look quoted in any shape or form.

They all look like one big sentence with the quoted post and the replied post combined.

Please leave a direct link to the post where we can see this issue.

saeb Topic starter 23/05/2021 8:56 am

@robert 

phpbb is a closed forum and wpforo is currently a test site. I would prefer not to post specific links in the public domain at this point in time.

I would message but cannot and can only post one image so have put sample phpbb posts at the top and wpforo underneath.

Both are identical although when phpbb is imported all quoted posts are just paragraphs but do include all posts. Pretty much impossible to read clearly though. 

Although I have bought most of the add ons I want for wpforo and am happy with everything else about the conversion, this one thing may end up being the end decision on whether I put it into production or stay with what I have.

Thank you @saeb,

We've found the issue and fixed the Go2wpForo tool. Please download it again: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/migrate-to-wpforo/

Delete and deactivate the previous installed one and install the new one. Then remove all migrated content from wpForo for new migration process. You can truncate the _wpforo_forums, _wpforo_topics and _wpforo_posts tables or simply uninstall wpForo (it'll remove all data and settings) , the uninstall button is located next to the Deactivate button in Dashboard > Plugins admin page and install it again.

saeb Topic starter 11/06/2021 1:23 am

@robert 

Absolutely perfect Robert. 

Thanks to you and the team for following this up and resolving the issue.

If it helps other you can remove the links in my post and make the thread public.