[Closed] Problems with PMs for User Profile

5 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@central4allgmail-com)
Prominent Member

I try to send a PM to a user,

i click to his profile and profile is opening, till here all good.

When i click to send him a PM opens to send to other member , not him

https://prnt.sc/1z63_hV0OEhy

user is 98765

After clicking to send PM

https://prnt.sc/AfCjMraaPv2i

user is groovegr

Any idea how to fix that ?

4 Replies
Topic starter
(@central4allgmail-com)
Prominent Member

Any help here?

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

This is an old problem on WP. Members with just numbers or numbers at the beginning of their user names cause the system to parse to the member_id number recorded in table rather than the member_name. *I have not found an automated way to solve the problem.

When I get a new registration I edit their nickname to add an underscore at the beginning which solves the issue. Like so _98765.

You can then run a snippet to block users from changing their Nicknames so that they don't change it back and break the fix. You will have to switch it off every time you get a numbers registration you need to edit.

add_action( 'wp_head', function () { ?>
	<style>

#wpf-profile-account-form > div > div.wpf-tr.row-0 > div.wpf-td.wpfw-1.row_0-col_0.wpf-row-user_login.wpf-row-display_name.wpf-row-user_nicename.wpf-row-user_email.wpf-row-title.wpf-row-groupid.wpf-row-location.wpf-row-avatar.wpf-row-about.wpf-row-occupation.wpf-row-signature > div.wpf-field.wpf-field-type-text.wpf-field-name-user_nicename.wpf-field-required > div.wpf-field-wrap {
      pointer-events: none;}

</style>

* There is a plugin that can restrict usernames but it seems overly restrictive https://wordpress.org/plugins/restrict-usernames-emails-characters/ I have not tested it though.

(@moptop)
Eminent Member

I'm having this same issue, and can confirm that affected members do have numbered usernames because they are autogenerated from a third-party system. 

Note that when @verek explains about the nickname, he means the one in the wpForo profile, not the nickname in the backend user profile.

I checked a couple affected users and both had alpha nicknames in the backend user profile but when I checked the frontend forum profile they were numbers. The private messages only started working properly when I changed their wpforo nickname.

So the question that begs to be asked, how can the nicknames be fixed on a bulk level to something like "@firstnamelastname" after the fact? Or at the very least not having the system create numeric nicknames in the future.

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@moptop,

Affected users nicknames can be changed to "@firstnamelastname", This can be fixed in your DB, but it is out of wpForo support.

You can contact with Gvectors Custom Work Team for this work.

Contact Email: sales[at]gvectors.com

wpForo uses WordPress users, and if you don't use third party system/or whatever it is, the users would be created/registered normal with no problems.