Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Integration with CleanTalk Anti-spam

7 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@boardboss)

Greetings - I am completely new to wpForo. During setup, I noticed the message "Akismet is not installed! For an advanced Spam Control please install Akismet antispam plugin, it works well with wpForo Spam Control system. Akismet is already integrated with wpForo. It'll help to filter posts and protect forum against spam attacks." displayed on the 'Antispam' tab in the 'Forum Tools' section. I agree that this message is accurate: I uninstalled Akismet as soon as I installed WordPress, and instead installed CleanTalk Anti-spam.

I understand some people love everything by Automattic, whereas I tend to love what works best. So when I read the message mentioned above in the wpForo admin area my first thought was "who cares?"

With that said, why would I also need (or want) the wpForo in-built Spam Control enabled if I am using a solution like CleanTalk (or even if I chose to use Akismet)?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

6 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

@boardboss,

Akismet is a good option, but it's not required. You can install any other solution you want, just make sure they don't conflict with your plugins. First we recommend Google reCAPTCHA, which is integrated with wpForo in Dashboard > Forums > Tools > Antispam tab.

For example, if you use the CleanTalk Anti-spam plugin you should check the following to function and make sure they are not stopped by CleanTalk Anti-spam:

1. Try to register using wpForo registration form and make sure it works.

2. Try some AJAX functions, post like, post sticky and the most important one, click the Tools button of the first post of some Topic to open Topic "move", "split", "merge" options. Make sure the button works, and it opens the tools:

Also, please read this FAQ topic: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/how-to-stop-spam/

Topic starter
(@boardboss)

@robert Thank you for the prompt reply. I tested the registration and AJAX functions you suggested. All seemed to work okay. I did notice the checkboxes appeared a little wonky; are they? supposed to look like this: https://prnt.sc/1yvu366 ?

I did not configure reCAPTCHA as CleanTalk indicates it is not needed. I was more interested in removing the warning message about Akismet. I suppose I could find the string somewhere in a file or the database and change it there, although it would be nice if there were an option to disable it. Of course, the best option to me (IMHO) would be if wpForo understood a viable solution was actually installed and not only be concerned about Akismet. 🙂

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

@boardboss,

Posted by: @boardboss

I did notice the checkboxes appeared a little wonky; are they? supposed to look like this: https://prnt.sc/1yvu366 ?

Provide your forum URL

I did not configure reCAPTCHA as CleanTalk indicates it is not needed. I was more interested in removing the warning message about Akismet. I suppose I could find the string somewhere in a file or the database and change it there, although it would be nice if there were an option to disable it. Of course, the best option to me (IMHO) would be if wpForo understood a viable solution was actually installed and not only be concerned about Akismet.

That's wpForo core functionality, which is listed just like others, hiding a functionality just because it's not used is not a good idea.

Topic starter
(@boardboss)
Posted by: @chris

Provide your forum URL

https://connectivitycafe.com/

Posted by: @chris

That's wpForo core functionality, which is listed just like others, hiding a functionality just because it's not used is not a good idea.

I simply do not like alerts/warnings/notices that cannot be dismissed or disabled, especially when said alert/warning/notice is not relevant to the site in question. This alert, and in red text no less, makes it seem like Akismet is required, when in fact a conscious decision not to use it was made. I would simply look in the code and disable it, but then it would get overwritten on update. I should be able to dismiss it or choose not to display it.

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@boardboss,

Change your theme, the theme you are using is a very bad one, try Shuttle themes.

I simply do not like alerts/warnings/notices that cannot be dismissed or disabled, especially when said alert/warning/notice is not relevant to the site in question. This alert, and in red text no less, makes it seem like Akismet is required, when in fact a conscious decision not to use it was made. I would simply look in the code and disable it, but then it would get overwritten on update. I should be able to dismiss it or choose not to display it.

You can insert the below code in active theme/function.php file

add_action( 'wp_footer', function () { ?>
<style>
#wpcontent #wpbody-content #wpf-admin-wrap .wpf-info-bar > div {
	display: none !important;
}

</style>
<?php } );

But the code will be lost if you update the theme

Page 1 / 2