Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Roadmap: iOS app phone app

19 Posts
9 Users
7 Likes
(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

Thanks, I've had a look at that and it does appear to be a great solution although one I think I won't be able to go down due to both cost and experience required. To go back to my original suggestion for the app, I'm thinking wpForo should build one app and from within that the user would then input the address of the site they use. Then their login details to log into the site's specific forum. Perhaps the whole website wouldn't be on there, just the forum with a link to the site. But to maximise the benefit for wpForo the app could have a directory of all sites running wpForo (the site owner selects an option to be listed from their backend). This part of the app could encourage users to join all the various wpForo forums. I'm thinking like PocketCasts does for podcasts. And if this app was about $2 I'm sure it would be a big hit and make the development team quite a bit of money towards the wpForo ecosystem.

I know the message is version 2 but this is just such a killer feature that it will transform our forums if we can get it.  👍  👍  👍  👍 

1 Reply
(@anonymous3542)

Honorable Member

I'd really like to see this as well. AppPresser looks like a great solution, but in order to get even the most basic features, I'd need the $49 / month plan. Not cheap 🙁

I may start looking into the Android APK framework time permitting. 

(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member
Posted by: anonymous3542

I'd really like to see this as well. AppPresser looks like a great solution, but in order to get even the most basic features, I'd need the $49 / month plan. Not cheap 🙁

I may start looking into the Android APK framework time permitting. 

Exactly, too much time and money to do each do this alone. Any chance we could crowd fund the initial dev work on this a bit earlier or something? I know I'd put some cash in for that.

And another thing I was thinking about today for the app is an ability for it to sync and work offline. I was trying to use the forum on the train today and signal kept dropping in and out. However, I was trying to catch up on a load of new posts andd write replies. Surely and app would give you that offline functionality to sync the forum data every so often and then when I get on the train I can read and reply as much as I like whether there is signal or not. As soon as I get signal it starts to upload my replies to the posts I've been looking at.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi DaveHamilton

As it's mentioned here we'll start work on this after 2.0 version:

https://wpforo.com/community/general-discussions/roadmap-ios-app-phone-app/#post-11677

I'm sorry but i have no ETA for this yet.

1 Reply
(@timrodman)

Estimable Member

This would be REALLY cool. AppPresser doesn't look too bad to me. The GeoLocation feature looks interesting for when people gather at conferences. Has anyone tried this?

(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

Originally noted as a few months away back in November 2016. Then updated to being in the 2.x.x version, for which there is no release date.

I've just come back to considering rebooting my dormant site after a year away and had hoped this was now a thing. I fanatically love wpForo but just don't know where to go without this feature.

@Robert can you even hint at a timeline for this feature?

Perhaps consider a Kickstarter to get this thing going? I know I'd chip in quite a bit if I knew it was going to get things moving.

1 Reply
(@martin)

Support Team

@samhunter

We're not a mobile developer. We're web developers, so we have to find some service to create it for us but there is no service which will keep improve it and update in the future. I hope you understand the issue. We decided to learn mobile development to work on this, so may take so long time. This is not an easy task so it may take even years. I'm really sorry, but we still don't have any ETA. We'll do our bast to make it available next year.

Homdax
(@homdax)
Eminent Member

For Android would be interesting.

Page 3 / 3