Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Wrong user being notified of being mentioned in the forum

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@veganostomy)
Estimable Member

This problem has just come up, and I'll do my best to explain.

I have the following installed on my Wordpress site:

WPForo

WPDiscuz

WPForo Blog cross-posting addon.

Yesterday, a non-forum member posted a comment on a blog post through the WPDiscuz comment section as a guest using the name "Laura". 

Since I have the blog cross-posting, I replied directly to guest "Laura" through WPforo.

A registered forum member, who is also named "Laura" received my reply through the WPforo email notification "You have been mentioned in forum post", but this is not the same "Laura".

Both users have different email addresses, and my email log shows that only the wrong "Laura" (the one registered to the forum, but not the guest who left a comment through WPDiscuz) received a notification email. 

Let me know if any additional information is required. I'm almost certain that this can be reproduced with other guests using the same name as a forum member, but I have not been able to test this.

4 Replies
Alvina
(@alvina)

Hi @veganostomy,

Please note in the mentioning, we use the user nicename, and the guests do not have nicename. And when you mention the guest using nicename, the user whose name is Laura gets a notification in the forum. 

Also, I'll suggest you check the wpDiscuz User & Comment Mentioning add-on, it allows enable the guest mentioning.

Topic starter
(@veganostomy)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @alvina

Please note in the mentioning, we use the user nicename, and the guests do not have nicename. And when you mention the guest using nicename, the user whose name is Laura gets a notification in the forum. 

Thank you for clarifying. This sounds like it can be very problematic on a website that has both guest posts and forum replies that are cross-posting. 

If I enabled guest posting in WPforo, how would it work then? Will it still conflict with WPDiscuz?

Also, I'll suggest you check the wpDiscuz User & Comment Mentioning add-on, it allows enable the guest mentioning.

I understand that this allows guest mentioning from within the WPDiscuz comment section, but how does this work with WPforo? It sounds like if nicename is referenced, there will still be a conflict with the WPforo user accounts. 

2 Replies
(@martin)

Support Team

Hi @veganostomy,

I'm sorry but there is not any way to say wpForo to mention guests. wpForo has only "user mentioning" feature and it'll always mention users. It doesn't matter you enable guest posting or not. 

(@veganostomy)

Estimable Member

@martin Ok, so if I understand correctly if I purchase the wpDiscuz User & Comment Mentioning add-on, this will allow WPforo to play nice with replying to guests who left comments through WPDiscuz?