Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Email settings for sending verification emails to avoid hard bounces

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
eggsplain
Topic starter
(@tumph)
Eminent Member

Hey All!

So recently I have been getting a decent amount of people spam registering on the site as humans, not bots. This would not be a problem for me in general. 

However, because these people are spam registering and my site requires an email verification, these verification emails are usually hard bounced - which affects my SMTP. 

This is why I was wondering if it would be possible to not send the email at all if the email is not a valid email. I was wondering if there is some sort of check that can be done to ensure that the email being inputted is actually a valid email or not. Thank you for your help!

5 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

All email (and login/registrations) is 100% handled by Wordpress and not wpForo. woForo provides a kind of "form" for ease.

So you must solve this issue via a WP plugin.

Still bounce emails have nothing to do with bothering smtp. It is normal to bounce.

1 Reply
eggsplain
(@tumph)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis

Thanks for your response!

I was wondering how I could make it so that wordpress itself checks the email put in the box and determines whether the email is valid or not in real time. That way, the user cannot register if they have not made a valid email address. My Hard Bounce issue would also be solved by this, since it ruins the trust email servers have in my ip which reduces by SMTP quota. 

Please let me know if the following script would work, and where I would have to place it: 

validate_email( string $email, bool $check_domain = true )

or if there is some other method to scan and make sure the email is a real email before sending the verification email.

Thanks for all your help!

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Sorry but i'm not into programming, so maybe someone can help with code.

But i can tell you that we send more that a thousand invalid outgoing emails that bounce back per week (not from Wordpress site but from an other script), and our hosting provider (that handles smtp) haven't complained in years.

I highly doubt reputation of a mail server has something to do with bounce back. Still, maybe i could be wrong.

2 Replies
eggsplain
(@tumph)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis

Thanks for your reply!

Maybe the SMTP I am using is being overzealous. I will try and see if my hosting service provides SMTP!

eggsplain
(@tumph)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis

However, I am using sendinblue for my SMTP. I think my issue would be solved if I could check if the email that has been inputted is even a real email address or not before sending the email.

Please let me know if anyone knows how to possibly do this as a setting or in the code.

Thanks for your help everyone!