Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Is there a way to troubleshoot a member not being send email notifications?

15 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@moptop)
Eminent Member

I have a member (subscriber) who is not receiving email notifications for any posts or topics despite being subscribed to all of them. This is unique for this member, as other members with the same level are receiving notifications by email.

I am running PostSMTP with the Mailgun API, so I have multiple logs to check and confirm that he is not being sent the notifications. No email is being generated to his address.

How would I go about troubleshooting just this one subscriber? I have deactivated all his subscriptions, saved and then reactivated them through my admin access, but this did not fix it.

Is there somewhere I should be looking for a setting for a single user?

Thanks in advance.

14 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @moptop

Here is the full list of troubleshooting: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/not-receiving-automatic-replynotificationconfirmation-emails/#post-5344

11 Replies
(@moptop)

Eminent Member

@robert Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I have checked all of these things. And the email notification system is working for others, just not this single user. I don't have email confirmations turned on as it's a private forum.

Is there any way to troubleshoot a single user?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@moptop,

Ok, then I have no other suggestion.

(@moptop)

Eminent Member

@robert Thanks for your honesty. I think the best thing to do will be to delete the user account and have him create a new one, and hopefully the new account will function properly.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

Posted by: @moptop

@robert Thanks for your honesty. I think the best thing to do will be to delete the user account and have him create a new one, and hopefully the new account will function properly.

I'm having a similar problem only by me a user is not receiving email notifications for new topics but is receiving for replies. 

Did you find a solution to this?

Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@urisil,

Please double-check that the User is Subscribed to the Forum For new Topics.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

@chris I unsubscribed and re-subscribed the user to all the forums and it did not fix the problem. This is the only user I am having this problem with.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

@chris I've been doing some more testing and it turns out that the problem is a bit more widespread than I thought. At least two users are not receiving emails. One of them receives emails for new topics sporadically.

I created a new forum and usergroup, placed the user into this group and subscribed the user to the new forum. Unfortunately, that did not work for the new topic or for the response post . I checked the email logs and an email is not sent at all to this user.

This is a serious problem as we are using the forum as an internal forum in our organization and receiving emails is critical for the forum to function. If there's a way to receive elevated support, please let me know.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

Something strange that I noticed, I don't know if it has anything to do with my problem. The forum is sending a test email on its own. Log attached.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @urisil

Something strange that I noticed, I don't know if it has anything to do with my problem. The forum is sending a test email on its own. Log attached.

It is not. You went to the debug tools and that send some email out. NOT an issue.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

@dimalifragis Just tried it again, you're right.

(@urisil)

Trusted Member

@dimalifragis I find that it's sending a test email at random times not related to me using the debug tool, including at night when I'm asleep. I'm the only user with access to the settings.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

About the issue: Is the email QUEUED to the smtp plugin? Is there a log for it?

(@urisil)
Trusted Member

@chris Sorry for all the posts, I've been troubleshooting this all day.

I'm updating that I did an upgrade of the plugin a short while ago to version 2.1.3 and it seems to be working at the moment. I'll get back to you if there is any change for the worse.