Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Is there any way to have a moderator given access to delete posts?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@jasontoth)
Estimable Member

I have a forum I am migrating from PhpBB and I have several moderators that handle this forum on PhpBB. They sometimes have to delete posts after the fact due to our own forum policy. WPforo it looks like there is no option to give access to the moderator user group to delete posts.

I could use the Editor use group that has full access for this and upon testing works, however, I noticed that when I do this these moderators then suddenly have full access to the entire WP site where they could then also change the site itself, blogs, web pages, posts, etc.

Any advice on how I can give access to the moderators to just moderate the forum and have access to delete?

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

5 Replies
Tutrix
(@tutrix)
Noble Member

@jasontoth

you can change the permissions here

Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Forum Accesses Tab......permissions (CAN‘s)

and also

Dashboard > Forums > Usergroups admin page ........Usergroup Permissions (CAN’s)

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @jasontoth,

wpForo forum access and usergorup permission system allows you to do anything you want. This is a pro permission system. You should read this topic to understand and use it correctly: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wordpress-user-roles-wpforo-usergroups-and-forum-accesses/

Topic starter
(@jasontoth)
Estimable Member

So I had BBPress installed and leftover user roles that were confusing me as there was a "Moderator" user role.

I just used the following to remove these all using the functions file:

$wp_roles = new WP_Roles();
$wp_roles->remove_role("bbp_keymaster");
$wp_roles->remove_role("bbp_moderator");
$wp_roles->remove_role("bbp_participant");
$wp_roles->remove_role("bbp_spectator");
$wp_roles->remove_role("bbp_blocked");

Then after doing this I created a test user and assigned it to the "Editor" WP user role, which is synced to the WPForo user group of "Moderator".

Then taking this new test account I tried to access the regular website wp-admin page and it can still access the WP panel, which would make sense as it is the WP Editor role that is being used. 

So if I have this all straight now, I need to set up a new user role in WP that has similar permissions to the "Subscriber" role to make sure the moderators in the forum can't get to the WP dashboard?

Any documentation on this and how to make a new user roll in WP for this purpose of setting up a moderator on the forum that can't access the WP posts?

Sorry for taking so long to get this understood on my end if I am missing something.

Topic starter
(@jasontoth)
Estimable Member

Okay, so that others in the future reading this know I installed the Change User Roll plugin and created a new Moderator user roll. I made this read-only access on the WP side, but linked it up with the forum moderator user group and worked exactly as I wanted. This group can moderate but won't have access to anything on the WP site side. Jason

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@jasontoth,

Just enable the top black bar for moderator user roles, and they'll have access to forum settings page based on their usergroup permissions:

First enable admin bar for all by turn on the Show Admin Bar for Members option in Forums > Settings > Features Tab. Then use this plugin to show/hide it for certain user role: https://wordpress.org/plugins/hide-admin-bar-based-on-user-roles/