Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] No Access still shows forum statistics for Guests

7 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
 ulim
Topic starter
(@ulim)

I have changed my forum to "no access" for guests plus I have unchecked all CANs for the Guest user groups including, of course, the "view statistics". Then I have deleted all caches and reloaded the page - even cleared cookies and restarted the browser. But the statistics are still visible to anonymous users.

The only way to get rid of them is by disabling the feature entirely, but I would like to see the statistics as admin.

6 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

@ulim,

The permission "view statistics" is not related to the whole forum footer section. The statistic is the numbers, so I suppose it works fine and guests don't see the whole forum footer, they see a part of it. Please leave a URL to your forum, so I could check it.

BTW, if you use some cache plugin, please exclude the forum page from that cache plugin as soon as possible, here is the instruction: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wpforo-and-cache-plugins/

ulim
Topic starter
(@ulim)

@robert,

good to know about the footer and indeed, there are no numbers. My problem is the "newest Member" section, which leaks personal data to non-registered users. I require real names and register every user manually, so this is sensitive information. I thought it would belong to the statistics category. Is there any way to remove that line and possibly also the keywords/tags except by CSS (which I suppose would only hide it, but not actually remove it)?

I don't use a caching plugin, but many thanks for the pointer to exclude the forum page. I have some rewrite rules, which deal with caching, but so far haven't noticed any problems. Would love to share the URL, but it's a http://host.local/wordpress/community thing, as it's not released yet.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@ulim,

You can try this CSS code. Insert this CSS code in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Styles > Custom CSS Code textarea, save it, delete all caches, go to forum front-end and press Ctrl+F5:

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap .wpforo-stat-table p.wpf-stat-other > span:nth-child(2) {
    display: none !important;
}
 ulim
Topic starter
(@ulim)

@robert,

many thanks for your help. But I'm afraid "display: none" isn't really a secure solution. The data is still sent to the browser and anyone can view it with the browser's developer tools or a network sniffer.

Sensitive data has to be removed on the server. I suppose that means changing some PHP file. In my case it's probably easier and more "update-proof" to just remove the entire footer feature.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: @ulim

many thanks for your help. But I'm afraid "display: none" isn't really a secure solution.

I'm sorry but I have no other solution.

You can customize the footer.php template file of wpForo in an update-safe way as it's described here: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/forum-themes/theme-customization/

Page 1 / 2