Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Some Members See Blank Forum

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@ninetenpub)

We're new to WPforo, and we are using the forum on a protected page on our membership site, so that only some members can view it. It's working great for most, but a few members see only a blank forum when they load the page – see screenshot.

Have you encountered this before? When I log in as a user having trouble, I, too, see a blank forum. Which means it's not a browser issue, or an ad-blocker issue...

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @ninetenpub,

Check what's the usergroup of that user, check what forum permissions(forum accesses) are set for that usergroup in the Categories and Forum, and then check the Forum access options.

Topic starter
(@ninetenpub)

Hi, thanks, @chris. I have done that. Both users who see the forum and those who don't see it have standard access. All forum users have either subscriber or contributor user roles in WP, and permissions look like the attached image in every category and forum.

Topic starter
(@ninetenpub)

Ok, I was able to sort out what the issue was.

All of our users except for admins have a WP user role of either subscriber or contributor, both of which are set to have standard access in WPforo.

When I compared a user who only saw a blank forum with a user who saw the full forum, their WP user settings were identical, as were their user settings in our membership plugin. That's why I was so baffled about what the problem could be.

But today I looked at the member list in WPforo. The first 81 members who joined our site and weren't admins showed a usergroup of "default." When I changed the usergroup to "registered" – voila! The forum now displays fully for them.

We must have changed a setting right after we launched, that made something different for these first 81 users, that didn't affect their overall membership until we installed WPforo and it picked up on the difference.

This explains why our membership plugin gave these users access to the forum, but WPforo didn't show them any of the forum content.