Clear all

[Closed] Upgrading to wpForo v.2.0 and the New "Reputation Point Counting"

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@curtisb)
Trusted Member

I have installed wpForo 2.0 and addons 3.0 for my website in a staging area and am testing it.

I came across the following information in your 2.0 documentation for "Member Rating":

Starting from wpForo 2 version, you can set different points for likes, dislikes, new topics and posts. The user reputation will be based on number of points users. If you’re updating your forum from v1 to v2 the current reputation of members will not be reset. However, the reputation changing process will be based on likes (0.5), dislikes(-0.5), posts(1) and topics(2) in comparison to the old “only post (1)” based reputation system. Now the reputation won’t only increase, it’ll be capable to decrease based on dislikes.

I fall in the group of people updating from v1, so according to this paragraph, my "current reputation of members will not be reset."

I can understand this decision. You wouldn't want us to update our existing v1.0 wpForo websites and then find out later that ALL of our member's reputations were changed on us using a completely new method of adding up "points."

I do have a couple of questions about this that wasn't explained in this paragraph. 

1. Are members who join and register in our wpForo forums AFTER updating to wpForo 2.0, then on the NEW version for reputation based on "points" (not "posts"), but previous users who joined pre-wpForo 2.0 are kept on the old "posts" method? OR, is anyone (like myself) who upgrades to 2.0 always kept on the older "posts" not "points" scale for all users indefinitely?
  2. If we want to move all of our users to the new "points" method of "current reputation," is there actually a path for us to "reset" all of them to the new method?

The more I think about it, the more I like your new way of adding up points for reputation.

As an example, I have a forum user who has accumulated 500+ points (in MyCred with your addon) from "liking" a lot of people's forum posts, but she is only on Level 2 in the wpForo reputation scale because she hardly writes posts. I feel she (and others like her) should have a higher reputation badge in wpForo because of all of the participation they do, even if they don't write a lot of posts.

So, if there is a way to move all my users to the new method, I believe I would like to do so!

3 Replies
Topic starter
(@curtisb)
Trusted Member
If you’re updating your forum from v1 to v2 the current reputation of members will not be reset.”

I believe I misunderstood what this line in your documentation meant in my above post.

I believe I now understand this to mean that for those of us who upgrade from v1.0, the current reputation count (based previously by just the number of posts) for users already in the system won’t “reset” back to 0 (zero), but, importantly, the current count total will in fact “retabulate” based on the new criteria rules.

Which would mean (if I’m correct), some forum users who were active in the forum will see their rating level (automatically) increase after the upgrade once “received likes” are now counted in the new count totals.

Is this the way I should understanding this line?

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@curtisb,

after the update, the user's reputation will stay the same they had.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: @curtisb

• Are members who join and register in our wpForo forums AFTER updating to wpForo 2.0, then on the NEW version for reputation based on "points" (not "posts"), but previous users who joined pre-wpForo 2.0 are kept on the old "posts" method? OR, is anyone (like myself) who upgrades to 2.0 always kept on the older "posts" not "points" scale for all users indefinitely?

No, it doesn't matter when the user is registered, all will be based on points.

Posted by: @curtisb

• If we want to move all of our users to the new "points" method of "current reputation," is there actually a path for us to "reset" all of them to the new method?

It's not needed, because as I mentioned above, all users will have the same reputation counting algorithm. The doc is updated, so you should read it again: https://wpforo.com/docs/wpforo-v2/settings/member-rating/#reputation-point-counting