5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
JorgeW
Topic starter
(@jorgew)
Estimable Member
Hi Support

I would appreciate if you could give me an answer to each of these -I call them- wpForo structure Numeric Limits:

- Maximum amount of:
  • - Forums:
  • - Subforums:
  • - Topics:
  • - Replies (globally):
  • - Replies (to a topic):
  • - Likes (to a post):
  • - Forum members

Maximum size of post:

• - Characters in post title:
  • - Characters in post body:
  • - Size of post in bytes:
  • - Amount of attached files:

I guess they are defined at the SQL database and I tried to figure them out there, but I prefer your hard numbers.

Thanks once again.
4 Replies
Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi @jorgew,

Please check the answers below:

• - Forums:
  • - Subforums:

The forums and subforums can be created only by high-level users (admin, moderation, etc.). You can ask your forum admins not to create more than X number of forums/subforums. 

• - Topics:
  • - Replies (globally):

you can delete the topic/post you'll no need to display. Also, you can use wpForo moderation feature, so the topics/posts will become unapproved. 

• - Replies (to a topic):

In any case, you can close the topic and none will be able to reply to the current topic. 

• - Likes (to a post):

I'm sorry, but here I can suggest nothing. I'll ask developers if it's possible in future updates. 

• - Forum members

You can turn registration off once the limit of members become as you want. More info here: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/wpforo-settings/features/#user-registration

• - Characters in post title:

We'll add a new hook you'll be able to set the max number of the post title. 

• - Characters in post body:
  • - Size of post in bytes:

We'll add such option in near future releases, probably in the next one. 

• - Amount of attached files:

Only one file can be attached per post. The size can be changed the Maximum upload file size. Please read this doc.

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/wpforo-settings/topic-post-settings/#max-file-size

JorgeW
Topic starter
(@jorgew)
Estimable Member

Thanks for your (once again) quick answer @sofy

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in my request.

The info I'm looking for does not deal with operational limits (your data is fine and welcome) but with structural limits. In this case I suppose that the limits you defined when building the SQL database tables.

For example:

The table wp_wpforo_post includes (among others) the following field: postid and its type as bigint(20) unsigned

So this tells me something, but what exactly? (I'm no programmer, just a user)

Take a look at this stackoverflow answer to: Types in MySQL: BigInt(20) vs Int(20)

"The 20 in INT(20) and BIGINT(20) means almost nothing. It's a hint for display width. It has nothing to do with storage, nor the range of values that column will accept."

--------------

What I would like to know is -in case of posts- the maximum amount of posts that wp_wpforo_post SQL table will accept?

For example: I would like to post a topic in a wpForo forum that for wpforo SQL table would be postid 843814324243943804034864. Yes that is a huge number, but would the table -by its structure- accept this number (this amount)?

My own post here has this postid number: 28233, which means that the table will accept -at least- this amount of posts. But will it accept 28233000 posts? or even 28233000000000000 posts? What is the limit?

What is the maximum amount of posts that wpForo (not any of my forums, with their particular admin) will allow?

The same applies for the rest of "limits" that I'm requesting.

Hope this makes my request a bit more clear.

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi @jorgew,

Each web project that uses the SQL DB that are vBulletin, phpBB, XenForo, and other giant forums and shops uses INT(11) unsigned field type (Maximum Unsigned Value for INT(11) is 4294967295) for autoincrement of post ID. wpForo developers decided to use the BIGINT(20) unsigned max value (Maximum Unsigned Value for BIGINT(20) is 18446744073709551615).

In our practice, we have not seen the forums that have a Maximum Unsigned Value greater than the INT(11) value. Simply the wpForo developers prefer to use the biggest SQL numeric type i.e BIGINT(20).

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17952_01/mysql-5.0-en/integer-types.html

JorgeW
Topic starter
(@jorgew)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the number @sofy!

I guess that amount of posts should be enough for my forums 🙂

And may I ask for the rest of values?