wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Compatible Caching Solutions

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
 SRG
Topic starter
(@somerandomguy)
Eminent Member

So, to clarify with wpForo, due to the caching mechanisms built in to the plugin I can whitelist WPForo from all caching plugins (AutoOptimize, W3TC, LSCache, Redis, etc.) on the front-end?

I ask because the first time to byte is horrendous on the main forum/community pages. The server all the way down to WordPress is optimized heavily and has near perfect scores (GT Metrix, PageSpeed, Pingdom, WebpageSpeedTest, etc.) except for those heavy forum pages. Almost three seconds on every load waiting... then 2 more seconds to execute tons of js requests..

7 Replies
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

I have spend a lot of time testing various caching with wpForo. Because i have a small hosting plan and a lot of sites.

With most caching plugins you have to exclude the wpForo page. They say WP Rocket works right but it is a commercial plugin and i can't test BUT i highly doubt it works 100% right with wpForo.

Autooptimize is not a caching plugin (as you say).

So what works ? For me, i could get caching to work with WP Super Cache in PHP mode (not in expert mod_rewrite mode) almost 99% with wpForo. There are some things that are not updated immediately (like # of views and widget sidebar new topics/posts) but i don't care. And those problems are for VISITORS and not logged users. Also those problems can be improved by setting a low TTL (time to live) for caching, so caching is cleared every xxx minutes instead of for example once per day.

I think wpForo last 1-2 versions made the plugin more compatible with std Wordpress caching mechanisms, so it works better with WP Super cache (a caching plugin that i do not like).

1 Reply
 SRG
(@somerandomguy)

Eminent Member

You are correct, I should have called AutoOptimize a minification plug-in. I do however consider its functionality on WordPress much better than that of W3TC.

I have not used Super Cache since initial testing around 6 months ago. I fell in love with W3 (Apache/NGINX/Varnish) and LSCache (Litespeed) and haven’t really tested other plugins since.

I have various servers, currently my forum is hosted on an all SSD KVM VPS. I run Apache+OpCode+NGINX (Reverse Proxy)+Redis+mod_lsapi+PHP 7.3+ CloudFlare on the backend and use W3TC/AutoOptimize for caching on the front end, of course with the appropriate configs in place for page, object, etc. I’ve literally followed almost every rule in the book and have server response times/resource usage that is absolutely amazing considering the plethora of cPanel plugins/software running as well. 

Until I run the forum, and whitelisting has not improved performance, it is severely degraded honestly. At one point, the forum had a TTFB of around half a second, now we’re at 3 seconds. Granted, I changed the layout to the most code heavy but didn’t expect this much of a drop. Been looking for a log output from the plugin to see why the server is waiting so long for a response but I guess there must be some kind of debugging option that has to be enabled. I believe W3 can improve the performance, especially with Redis and page caching. I also have ran in to issues with the counters being updated, currently, the statistics only update when I delete the forum caches and I haven’t been able to find a solution around it just yet but these are minor issues compared to each visitor having to wait 5 seconds for a page to load. The forum will never grow heavily with that kind of speed.

I suppose this could very well be a minification issue as the average page view of the community used to generate around 20 request and now it generates over 50... almost all JS/jQuery. But considering AutoOptimize and CloudFlare seem to be performing just fine, it would have the be the plugins caching mechanisms that need tuning or more compatibility amongst calls.

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

LiteSpeed caching plugin, while it seems to work with all webservers, it really shines in you are also on a Litespeed webserver. Otherwise ....

W3TC has always been a red flag for me, it only creates problems and nothing else. But if it works for you ...

Apparently you have to test what works in a particular setup, there is no other way.

A friend of mine uses W3TC with object/page caching and Redis and he is more than happy. But not with a Forum.

2 Replies
 SRG
(@somerandomguy)

Eminent Member

There is an insanely controversial battle on the internet about Litespeed vs other servers. I will 100% back them up as the best webserver for WordPress and probably anyone. OpenLiteSpeed or proprietary, LSAPI and LSCache obliterate all other options when combined. I don’t use LS on this sever because I haven’t had time for setup so in the meantime.. this is what it’s pushing.

I think that W3TC is just more configurable than other plugins and isn’t optimized out of the box so it irritates people (especially those new to hosting) but if you have a very particular setup, the plugin’s strong compatibility with almost everything really helps. I use W3 with all my non-litespeed WordPress sites and their performance is stellar after spending 15 minutes or so configuring caching and extensions. Haven’t seen any plugins that offer so much control. I love having control over every single aspect of the server and full administration if possible. I would run all dedicated servers if I had the funds and time to invest.

However, I am beginning to concur with your friend, as the forum is not performing well. I plan to try out Discourse on another server that I am also testing phpBB on to see what caching methods work the best. But I like wpForo for WordPress as I think it’s truly only one of two real forum replacements and WordPress has needed better forum development for years. Now it is here.

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: SRG

But I like wpForo for WordPress as I think it’s truly only one of two real forum replacements and WordPress has needed better forum development for years. Now it is here.

It really is so.

Kecoakkecil
(@kecoakkecil)
Eminent Member

Hi,  I want you to help me solve the problem why look like this please see the picture
and please login to https://tvtrans7.com with username: Defran
password: 12345678

1 Reply
(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: Asmadi

Hi,  I want you to help me solve the problem why look like this please see the picture
and please login to https://tvtrans7.com with username: Defran
password: 12345678

I have no idea what you are talking about but please do not highjack other's topic. Open a new one for each problem you may have.