Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Hide Title for Replies

12 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@steel-rat)
Eminent Member

I'm not sure why anyone wants this in the first place, but titles or subjects in replies just isn't a desirable thing, in my opinion. How do I get rid of them?

Someone else mentioned that changing to threaded topics did that, but it didn't for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Topic Tags
11 Replies
 fawp
(@fawp)
Reputable Member

You could customize the layout of your posts. If you're familiar with coding (php/HTML) it's a relatively easy thing to do.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @steel-rat,

The reply title field is designed to be shown on lists of posts like Recent Posts Widget, Recent Posts Page, Profile Subscription, Profile Activity, Recent Posts under the topic in Extended Layout and so on. So, there is not any inconsistent. The post title field is used in lots of places, but in the topic. There is no mean to show the same title dozens of times in the topic. In 99% cases, people don't change post title, and it's the same. That's why we don't show it in the topic.

But there are many good reasons why we show it in the above-mentioned places. The first reason to have a link titles to that post and the second to have a bold/normal title to show unread/read status of that post. All these reasons are meaningless in the topic, that's why they are not shown there.

5 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

You can use this css code to remove the title field from reply form: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/how-to-remove-reply-topic-title/#post-32351

(@steel-rat)

Eminent Member

@robert

Hi Robert, the CSS in your link no longer works properly either, it removes the title from a new topic as well as replies.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@steel-rat,

Please let me know what forum layout you use.

(@steel-rat)

Eminent Member

@robert  - I use Threaded, and extended, I think. There are a lot of options and it's kind of confusing.

(@steel-rat)

Eminent Member

Correction. I was using threaded on one forum, and extended on another, but the CSS wasn't working properly with either.

I switched both to threaded and the title isn't appearing on replies. Sorry, this was very confusing to me, not realizing where the threaded and extended option was set (at the forum/Category level).

Topic starter
(@steel-rat)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the replies!

Being relatively new to WP, and WPforo, I didn't realize that different forums might have different layouts. After creating some more, they were showing the threaded display, with no "title" for replies. The first one I had created was inheriting the extended layout from the container, which is why it wasn't changing for me.

So, all good. Though ideally I might like to use extended without reply titles. I dislike changing code or CSS, because it makes updates a pain. So perhaps an option for a future version?

Thanks again!

3 Replies
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

Hi @steel-rat,

This Design is created for the Extended Layout, I'm sorry, but we are not going to add that feature in the to-do list however you can use Threaded Layout or add the above custom CSS code in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Styles Tab > Custom CSS Code Field:

.wpf-field.wpf-field-type-text.wpf-field-name-title.wpf-field-required {
display: none;
}

(@steel-rat)

Eminent Member

@chris - That's fine, I didn't expect you to change anything just for me. But thanks very much for the CSS snippet!

(@steel-rat)

Eminent Member

@chris - Hi Chris. Looks like a WPFORO update recently broke the CSS you provided. It removed the Title from new topics as well. Had to remove it. *sigh*