Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] How to add new Forum not attached to existing forums.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
JeffJJones
Topic starter
(@jeffjjones)
Trusted Member

I asked back in v1 of WPforo for the ability to have some forums on a page on my site, but then the ability to create another forum(s) not connected to the existing support forums, for different uses, such as community sharing of photos. Yeah. You guys provided that in V2.

But now I cannot figure out how to do that. It has been years since I created my first forum page with two support forums under a Support Category. I don't remember how I did it. 

I have gone through your documentation and Google'd the heck out of how to do this, to no avail.

I currently have one category called 'Support Forums' with two Extended format Forums entitled 'Support' and 'Wishlist'. And these are on a page on my site (see link above). It appears that I created the forums simply by adding a Text module and putting the "[wpforo]" tag inside it.

Great, now I want a new Forum called "Community Sharing" on a new page on my site. Can someone please walk me through the steps.

Must I have a new Category, or can I create a forum without a category? 

It appears that I have created a category by adding a new forum without a parent. Is that the right way?

When I do this, my old forum page now includes this new 3rd forum. Not what I want. 

/forum used to only show Support and Wishlist forums. Now it shows all 3. 

I am lost. How do I get my new category&forum on a new page, and leave the old page alone as it was?

Do I create the new page, or it seems when I click on the VIEW button for the forum, the page already exists. So lost.

Thanks.

4 Replies
JeffJJones
Topic starter
(@jeffjjones)
Trusted Member

Update: After much fiddling around and just figuring out how things seem to work, here is what I did and how I believe it must be done. But please correct or add additional info if appropriate.

• I need a new Category for my new Forum
  • I don't need to create pages in WordPress for my forums, I simply get the URL from the WPforo plugin page and add a new menu item (Custom Link type) with that URL. Now users have access to one page with Support forums and one page with Community sharing forums.
    • Where does that page come from? It seems to have content from the older Support forums page.
  • What if I want to create a menu item/link that shows only Unread posts from the Support forum. How would I do that?

thanks

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @jeffjjones,

Little explanations:

Default Board(slug: forum) > X Categories > Each category has x Forums

New Created Board(slug: whatever you want) > X Categories > Each category has x Forums

Now you have 2 Forums in Different Pages.

2 Replies
JeffJJones
(@jeffjjones)

Trusted Member

@chris Thanks. That is just the kind of how-does-this-actually-work stuff I needed.

But what I am finding doesn't seem to exactly match that. And it is confusing.

1. I have a Category with 2 forums in it. The Slug for that is 'XYZ'. If I click on the view icon under wpForo>Forums, I get a page '/forums/XYZ' that correctly shows the two forums under that category. But notice '/forums'. Above you say '/forum' singular. Is that a typo?
  2. I have a 2nd Category now with a new forum under it. The slug for that forum is 'ABC'. If I click the view icon for that, I am taken to '/forums/ABC'. Good. And it shows just that forum; without the Category. All good.
  3. Now, let me throw in a twist. I have a WP page called 'forums'. I must have created it. It has a Blurb module with a pic and description; and a Text module with only the "[wpforo]" tag in the text portion. When I click on the view icon in wpForo>Forums, it always takes me to /forums/... and displays this page. How is this happening? I can't find anywhere in the wpForo setup/config/mgmnt pages where I explicitly reference this WP page.
  4. A 2nd twist. I want a different looking page for my new Category/Forum that will exist on its own page. So, I create that page. It is just like the forums page, but with a different image and text in the Blurb module, and in the Text module, I put [wpforo item="forum" id="6"]. In the menu for this page I reference this new page. When I click on the menu item, indeed I am taken to this new page. Great. However, if I use any of the Forum links created on this page from the [wpforo...] shortcode, it now takes me back to the /forums/slug pages. So, if I try to the Category in the "home>category>forum" link at the top of the wpforo module, I am back to the Category page with /forums/categoryAnd if I try to go forward to the forum under this Category, I am back at the old /forums page. Not the new page anymore.

Hoping to get some insight into the questions I have raised above. I hope I have provided all the detail you need to answer. Thanks.

Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@jeffjjones,

Default Board Is:

https://birdersdiary.com/ forum1/: The Red slug is the Board Slug

• Birder's Diary User Sharing(Category)
    • Community Sharing(Forum)
  • Support Forums(Category)
    • Support(Forum)
    • Wish List Topics(Forum)

2 Board

https://birdersdiary.com/ forum2/: The Red slug is the Board Slug

• First(Category)
    • Forum 1(Forum)
  • Second(Category)
    • Forum 1(Forum)
    • Forum 2(Forum)

By default, wpForo has 1 Page at Dashboard > Pages, called Forum with [wpforo] shortcode in it.

That one Page can be used for both Boards, or you can create another Page, insert the shortcode and use it for the second board.

So any page changes would affect only for one of the boards and not for both.

Note that the Page Slug and ID should be set the same in the Board.