Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Integrating Patreon Permissions in forums.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@infotranscendent-studio)

Dear WPforo geniuses.

First off, thanks for an incredible app an amazingly well thought out integration with word press.  I absolutely love the forums, permissions, addons, etc.  Great job.

I am planning on adding Patreon integration with my site.  I know that their integration works well on the blog part of the site, however there is no way to block forums and post based on the users patreon level.

*At least I thought there was not until I contacted them. 
I received a reply saying that the addition of a simple code block could enable patreon blocking at any part of my site. (see here, or the code below)
https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Patron-Pro-how-to-lock-any-part-of-your-Website-a8gbz8gFin9PsCg4nuI3W

How to use the code:

1 - Just copy/paste the below code into your theme file where you want to gate content.
2 - Make sure the code is not pasted inside other <?php ?> tags. 
3 - Replace 7 with the $ value that you want to gate the content with
4 - Put your patron only content where it says Put your patron-only content here! ” by replacing that text.
5- Done!

<?php

$patreon_custom_gate_level = 7; // Replace 7 with the $ value which you want to gate this content with - without the $ sign

if ( $patreon_gate = Patreon_Frontend::gate_custom_content( $patreon_custom_gate_level ) ) {
      echo $patreon_gate;
  }
  else {
      ?>
          Put your patron-only content here!
      <?php
  }

?>

However I am no Super programmer by any measure of the word and I was wondering how I would SAFELY incorporate this into my forums, and posts so that I can automatically give the right permissions without manually setting each users forums permissions.

Could you possibly include an example of the code inside the forums for me to look at as well

Thanks for your help and insight.

4 Replies
(@martin)
Support Team

Hi @infotranscendent-studio,

Ok, we're ready to help, but it's bit confused. We're not familiar with the Patreon. Please explain to us what is Patreon. How it works and what is it for? 

Also, please explain the integration, what is the main goal?

Topic starter

Martin

Thank you for your fast reply

Patreon is a web site that deals with subscriptions to fund peoples art. 
Individuals give money monthly to unlock  certain levels of rewards from a site.  Like, images, videos, conversations, live streams, etc. 

It is one of the most well known ways to make money as an artist.  However I do not trust it entirely.  So instead of doing all my work on Patreon I plan on keeping my site and if Patreon ever wants to change their buisness model (which they have done before) I will simply revert back to my site 100%.

So in a nutshell it is a subscription service that has an addon to integrate it into wordpress. (and it works well for the pages and post portion of wordpress) 

But currently there is no integration into wpforo.  Which is my favorite part of my site 🙂

So I connected with them and they sent me the data I sent you to help me lock off certain parts of my forums automatically based on patreon levels. 

I was planning on manually setting levels for each user as their logins were created by patrion.  But if I can automate it in any way it would be helpful.

And I dont know if that is doable but I thought i would ask you guys as your support and help have been phenomenal.

Thank you for your wisdom and time

if you have any other question feel free to ask

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@infotranscendent-studio,

Ok, how about the registration process and WordPress user  role they get? How the addon work with WordPress? Does it automatically creates new users in your WordPress website and what user role they get?

Topic starter

Robert thanks rapper thanks for the question

no matter no matter what patreon level they buy they will only be given one role which is the default rule given to automatic Lee created users which currently on my website is subscriber.

this this is where the problem lies if they would be able to choose a different role based on their patreon subscription I could simply use your role synchronization after creating a couple more roles

however modifying however modifying my website to have more rolls is not something I want to do and your  synchronization system would only work if they automatically were given different roles

as it stands I would as it stands I would still need to manually look at each of their logins and give them permissions to your forums

is the date is the date of a sent not applicable to your Forum setup or too hard to implement?

thanks for all thanks for all your questions and trying to find a good and useful answer to this question

awaiting your feedback and saying thank you again