Clear all

[Closed] Potential Theme Conflict?

7 Posts
3 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

In the wpForo Tools menu, I am getting a "Potential Theme Conflict" with my file structure. (See attached image)

I am wondering if this is in error? That wpforo folder in my child theme is where the layouts folder resides allowing me to tweak the forum layouts. Has this changed? Should I no longer be doing this?

6 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @cotner,

It is a recommendation to remove old customization files which dont work after 2.x version of wpForo.

Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

Hmmmm... This way of tweaking the layout must still work. I do not even recall where I found out how to do it. I have only ever been on 2.x of wpForo

I have that wpforo folder structured like this in my child theme...

/wpforo/layouts/2/ 

Within that folder are the 3 following files.

forum.php (Which is the #1 Extended file)

topic.php (Which is the #4 Threaded file)

post.php (Which is the #1 Extended file)

This allowed me to get a look and feel / UX that was pretty close to what my old phpBB board looked like and to make the transition easier for my users after being on that board for 19 years.

If you drill in to a forum/topic/post on my board, you can tell it doesn't follow what any of a typical wpForo Simplified forum looks like. It is a combination of looks.

https://gopherpucklive.com/forum/

Not sure why I used the Simplified #2 folder instead of the Extended #1 folder when I started doing this... But I have the look I want.

How would I go about doing the same thing without using the method I am using?

2 Replies
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@cotner,

How can you use wpForo 1.x version template files with wpForo 2.x version without problems?

(@scoufy)

Eminent Member

Posted by: @cotner

I have that wpforo folder structured like this in my child theme...

/wpforo/layouts/2/ 

Within that folder are the 3 following files.

forum.php (Which is the #1 Extended file)

topic.php (Which is the #4 Threaded file)

post.php (Which is the #1 Extended file)

This allowed me to get a look and feel / UX that was pretty close to what my old phpBB board looked like and to make the transition easier for my users after being on that board for 19 years.

If you drill in to a forum/topic/post on my board, you can tell it doesn't follow what any of a typical wpForo Simplified forum looks like. It is a combination of looks.

Not sure why I used the Simplified #2 folder instead of the Extended #1 folder when I started doing this... But I have the look I want.

How would I go about doing the same thing without using the method I am using?

@cotner : What you have done is what I would like and it is a regret for me to have switched from phpbb (where the updates have tired me after more than almost 20 years of use...) not being able to have forums different from categories.

I like the "extented" display for categories and "threaded" for forums because it gives less detail for categories and a little more for forums.

I hope this can be done one day without having to use your tip. What happens when updating wpforo, do you have to re-transfer the files added to your theme? Can you elaborate a little on how you set this up?

Topic starter
(@cotner)
Estimable Member

@chris

No... I am using 2.x template files in that location of my theme.

childtheme/wpforo/layouts/2/ 

This is one of the reasons I am confused as to why I am getting that notification. I never used 1.x, so I have zero files for 1.x

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@cotner,

ahhh sorry, it's recommendation that there is potential conflict, just asking to make sure that the customization that you have done won't create conflict with the theme, and that's all, it doesn't say that there is conflict now.

Just make sure that you don't have wpForo and theme conflict in your website and pass the recommendation if everything is good.