3 Users
1 Likes
thewoodysplace
Topic starter
(@thewoodysplace)
Eminent Member

My forum

https://www.woodmore.co.uk/community/

I have a lot of white space on the left, how can I make my forum wider into that space?

10 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Not related but remove caching from wpForo page (the one with the shortcode).This has been posted several times from gVectors support, not my suggestion or idea.

W3TC will create issues with wpForo.

7 Replies
thewoodysplace
(@thewoodysplace)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @dimalifragis

Not related but remove caching from wpForo page (the one with the shortcode).This has been posted several times from gVectors support, not my suggestion or idea.

W3TC will create issues with wpForo.

I have no idea what you are on about?

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@thewoodysplace You are running W3TC caching with wpForo. Not compatible.

See your html source:

<!--
Performance optimized by W3 Total Cache. Learn more:  https://www.boldgrid.com/w3-total-cache/ 

Object Caching 222/392 objects using disk
Page Caching using disk: enhanced 
Lazy Loading
Minified using disk
Database Caching using disk (Request-wide modification query)

Served from: www.woodmore.co.uk @ 2021-11-21 14:02:53 by W3 Total Cache
-->
thewoodysplace
(@thewoodysplace)

Eminent Member

@thewoodysplace You are running W3TC caching with wpForo. Not compatible.

See your html source:

<!--
Performance optimized by W3 Total Cache. Learn more:  https://www.boldgrid.com/w3-total-cache/ 

Object Caching 222/392 objects using disk
Page Caching using disk: enhanced 
Lazy Loading
Minified using disk
Database Caching using disk (Request-wide modification query)

Served from: www.woodmore.co.uk @ 2021-11-21 14:02:53 by W3 Total Cache
-->

I never knew this was a problem, it didn't seem to affect anything.

I have added /community.*  to performance/page cache 

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@thewoodysplace From the signature of W3TC, you seem to have enabled each-and-every option of the W3TC plugin, object caching, DB caching, everything.

This is NOT suggested. If you want to use W3TC for the REST of your site, disable DB caching and Object caching. Those are slowing your Wordpress down and put a huge load to DISK subsystem. Unless you have a HUGE site and a VERY powerfull server plan (and some very experienced webmaster to tune all that).

Also CHECK your wpForo pages, since i still see W3TC active (see the source html from your page at the end).

thewoodysplace
(@thewoodysplace)

Eminent Member

Also CHECK your wpForo pages, since i still see W3TC active (see the source html from your page at the end).

I have checked the source and the forum page is showing 

It says it's rejected that page from caching.

<!--
  Performance optimized by W3 Total Cache. Learn more: https://www.boldgrid.com/w3-total-cache/

Page Caching using disk: enhanced (Requested URI is rejected)
  Lazy Loading
  Minified using disk

Served from: www.woodmore.co.uk @ 2021-11-21 14:41:36 by W3 Total Cache
  -->
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@thewoodysplace Ok, still it is minifying wpForo and lazy load for wpForo. Anyways, this is beyond the scope of my replies, keep in mind that all that could create issues. F12 (browser console) will be your guide.

Personally i would exclude everything from wpForo and to be honest i would use a simple caching (like WP Super Cache) and if you want to optimize more i would use Autoptimize plugin.

W3TC is a beast and should be used very carefully, it will create issues that you may not be aware.

thewoodysplace
(@thewoodysplace)

Eminent Member

@thewoodysplace Ok, still it is minifying wpForo and lazy load for wpForo. Anyways, this is beyond the scope of my replies, keep in mind that all that could create issues. F12 (browser console) will be your guide.

Personally i would exclude everything from wpForo and to be honest i would use a simple caching (like WP Super Cache) and if you want to optimize more i would use Autoptimize plugin.

W3TC is a beast and should be used very carefully, it will create issues that you may not be aware.

Well thanks for the guidance anyway, it's appreciated.

Now if only I could make my forum wider...

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @thewoodysplace,

Check this FAQ Topic About Caching: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wpforo-and-cache-plugins/

About Wider Forum

Edit the forum page and select Full Width or One Column page template in Page Template admin-box. If your theme doesn't have such page template check other options to remove the right sidebar. This page is two column page and forum has no chance to be wider until the right sidebar is not removed or the layout set one column.

Also, if you want to change forum and sidebar widths you can use this simple CSS code. 
Just put it in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Styles > “Custom CSS Code” textarea, to save it, 
delete all caches and do Ctrl+F5 on front end to load new CSS code:

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap .wpforo-content{ width: 73%; }
#wpforo #wpforo-wrap .wpforo-right-sidebar { width: 24%;}

1 Reply
thewoodysplace
(@thewoodysplace)

Eminent Member

@chris 

Thank you.