wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Shortcodes Stopped working on custom pages

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@redrockbob)
Eminent Member

Hi:

A variety of wpforo shortcodes have stopped working on certain pages.

The forums work fine when navigating from the breadcrumbs or on simple pages without any additional content.

However, on pages that have been customized with additional content they have stopped working.  I have included screenshots from where they were working and now that they are not working.

The problematic pages have a simple carousel, heading and text.

They have been built in Elementor (v.3.2.3), Elemnto PRO (v3.2.2).  The theme is Astra (3.4.4) with Astra Pro (3.4.2).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12 Replies
Topic starter
(@redrockbob)
Eminent Member

This is the screen shot showing that they are currently NOT WORKING

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

1. Enable in wpForo features "Enable Output Buffer".

2. Press F12 in your browser and check for console errors.

2 Replies
(@redrockbob)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis Thanks for the suggestion.

The only message in the console is:

Scroll util from "/dev/js/frontend/utils/scroll"` is soft deprecated since 3.1.0 - Use `elementorModules.utils.Scroll` instead
consoleWarn @ common.min.js?ver=3.2.4:2

When I checked with the version that was working, I get the same message.

I also tried to take elementor out of the equation by creating a simple page not using elementor and just using the shortcode.  Same result.

Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@redrockbob I guess you have wpForo features "Enable Output Buffer" enabled?.

Topic starter
(@redrockbob)
Eminent Member

UPDATE: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I found additional pages built the same way are working as expected.
When I attempted to edit the page in Elementor, I discovered that the notification spinner did not stop spinning. (See attached)

Of note, the only recent change I made to the forums was editing the content of email notifications.

I inserted additional allowed 'links' into the notifications. 
But as I mentioned before, the forum is working fine when displayed from the breadcrumbs on a different page.

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@redrockbob ,

Don't use Elementor for forum page. And don't change it before saving the page. Just put wpForo shortocde in a classic editor section (don't use shortcode box) and save.

(@redrockbob)

Eminent Member

@robert Thanks for the advice Robert.  I have tried that for a couple of the forums that won't display but they still don't. The page comes up with the shortcode displayed but no content.  Can you suggest a repair or fix to get the content working again?  Is the database corrupted?  Is there a way to dump it to files and reload? Is there a series of SQLs that I can run to find the offending records?  The database checks in the Tools page all indicate that the database is fine.

Topic starter
(@redrockbob)
Eminent Member

ISSUE RESOLVED: UNRELATED TO WPFORO

The issue I was having was related to a plugin designed to speed the website by excluding plugins from specific pages.  It was incorrectly excluding WPFORO from the some of the pages, but not all of them.  Thanks to all who offered help.  I will however log another issue about the question of using elmentor.  Why is it not recommended?

4 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@redrockbob ,

wpForo works fine with Elementor. However, it doesn't work on front-end page editing mode, so you should not check wpForo while you edit the page on front-end with Elementor, this is the only reason why we say ignore errors on edit mode, it'll work fine when all is saved. Also, you should put wpForo shortcode in a regualr text section, don't use shortcode sections or blocks. .

(@redrockbob)

Eminent Member

@robert Thanks.  Up until now, I have only put wpForo shortcodes into sections or subsections - never directly into a text block.  I will have to try that to see how the display or behavior is different.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team
Posted by: @redrockbob

The issue I was having was related to a plugin designed to speed the website by excluding plugins from specific pages.

What is the plugin name?

(@redrockbob)

Eminent Member

@robert It is a custom plugin that I wrote for my site.  I had been using a naming convention for the slugs associated with forums.  I used a different convention for the 'special interest group' slugs.  
What I found in the course of my plugin development was that every time a page is loaded, wordpress 'reloads' all the plugins - whether they are used or not.  Even if they are 'reading' from cache, it is a lot of PHP code that wordpress has to process in order to build a page.  I was able to demonstrate it with a simple call to a log function every time a file was loaded.  By not loading some of the largest plugins on pages that don't need them I hoped that it would speed the page somewhat.