Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] spam in profiles - stop links

28 Posts
7 Users
4 Reactions
(@jasontoth)
Estimable Member

I am having a similar problem on my forum where I get people that go and create an account and then they go into the profile page after they have created the account and put a bunch of spam in the profile section. They don't do any posts just put it all in the profile. I am looking for help on this too. Thanks.

1 Reply
st7878
(@aima-forum)

Estimable Member

@jasontoth I wrote above how to solve the problem!

(@kraisor)
Eminent Member

I have this same issue, about 10-20 spam profiles created per day. I have captcha on the registration and login pages, honeypots, Cloudflare is set to high security for those pages, I'm running All In One WP Security & Firewall, nothing is stopping it.

The only thing I can think of that might help me at this point is a custom question on the registration page, which there doesn't seem to be a way to implement with custom work.

(@jasontoth)
Estimable Member

Yes, I am in the same boat. What about on the registration page where it can send an email that you have to confirm before it creates an account? Any idea on if that would solve it as I am thinking that some of the spam profiles are not real email addresses.

2 Replies
(@kraisor)

Eminent Member

@jasontoth This is already an option (and enabled on my site) but isn't helping.
It's under Forums > Settings > Features > Enable User Registration email confirmation

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member
Posted by: @kraisor

@jasontoth This is already an option (and enabled on my site) but isn't helping.
It's under Forums > Settings > Features > Enable User Registration email confirmation

because the game should be stopped at LOGIN/REGISTER. If this stage is passed, it is hard to block whatever comes in.

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Clean talk works well, but you have to pay for the service after a week free trial. That stopped the issues when i had it but i should really upgrade it to make it better, it is worth it i think

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member
Posted by: @percysgrowroom

Clean talk works well, but you have to pay for the service after a week free trial. That stopped the issues when i had it but i should really upgrade it to make it better, it is worth it i think

Still because of the cloud checks, it put some load on the pages, initially.

st7878
(@aima-forum)
Estimable Member

@kraisor @jasontoth @percysgrowroom do you even read the topic ??? Do as I wrote here. And tell me it doesn't work! It works 100% !!

1 Reply
(@jasontoth)

Estimable Member

@aima-forum okay so I have tried many options on this and not had much luck. I recently read your original post and see that you had some code to leave out the URLs in the profile fields and reduce the lenght of the user name.

Looks like it was as follows:

add_filter('wpforo_before_update_profile_fields', function($profile_fields){
if( wpfkey($profile_fields, 'signature') ) $profile_fields['signature'] = wpforo_text( html_entity_decode($profile_fields['signature']), 200, false);
if( wpfkey($profile_fields, 'about') ) $profile_fields['about'] = wpforo_text( html_entity_decode($profile_fields['about']), 200, false);
return $profile_fields;
});

Could you please confirm the above is correct and give me a little direction on where to put this? Is it going into the quick CSS in WPForo?

Thanks so much, 

Jason

Page 3 / 4