Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Users in multiple groups - possible?

27 Posts
12 Users
3 Likes
12.4 K Views
Topic starter
(@bbergman)

I'm considering switching over to wpForo from another tool, but I can't seem to do what I need in order to make the switch. Specifically, I need a set of forums where users can be in 1+ forums. For example:

Usergroups = RedTeam, BlueTeam, YellowTeam

Forum 1: RedTeam

Forum 2: RedTeam + BlueTream

Forum 3: BlueTeam + YellowTeam

Seems straightforward; just create those usergroups and assign access. However, it appears users may only belong to one usergroup at a time. I can't make User1 part of both RedTeam and YellowTeam, which means they are locked out of either Forum1 or Forum3 (depending on which usergroup I give them).

Is there a way to make a user part of multiple usergroups?

Thanks!
Bruce

26 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

It's very easy, you don't need to attach user to multiple usergroup. You just need to grant access of the same Usergroup to multiple Forums.

1. Create Usergroup - RedTeam

2. Create Usergroup - BlueTream

3. Create Usergroup - YellowTeam

4. Set Permissions for Forum 1

• RedTeam - Standard Access
  • BlueTream - No Access
  • YellowTeam - No Access

5. Set Permissions for Forum 2

• RedTeam - Standard Access
  • BlueTream - Standard Access
  • YellowTeam - No Access

6. Set Permissions for Forum 3

• RedTeam - No Access
  • BlueTream - Standard Access
  • YellowTeam - Standard Access

Topic starter
(@bbergman)

Thanks Robert. I think I tried too hard to make this a simple question, and my example wasn't good enough to explain my need. Apologies for that. Let me try again.

My site supports a non-profit board of a corporation. The board is large and has many members and many committees. I've created two basic usergroups: non-board and board. 

I have a set of forums for everyone to use. Obviously, I want to protect the board forum from non-board members, but there's no problem with that. Easy peasy. Where it gets tricky -- and where I tried to give a good example, but failed -- is that all of the board members also participate on multiple committees.

Jacob, John and Jen are on the Run Committee (with a forum for them)

Jacob, Paul and Patty are on the Walk Committee (with a forum for them)

I need to make it so that everyone on each committee only sees their own forum (and not the others; this is a legal requirement). The problem is Jacob. That is, because he's in both committees, and should have access to both forums. He would be the only one seeing both forums, in this simple example.

It's easy enough to create a usergroup called (for instance) "RunCommittee" and put John and Jen in it.
It's easy enough to create another usergroup called "WalkCommittee" and put Paul and Patty in it.

Where it bogs down, is that Jacob should be a member of both of those usergroups. But I can't add him to both, because a user can exist only in one usergroup (unless I'm missing something).

I thought about creating a "RunAndWalkCommittee" usergroup, where I could put Jacob, but the issue is that there are 9 committees for this board, and managing the combinations of committees and people, to usergroups, gets quickly very unmanageable.

(For example, if Patty was in two other committees, I'd have to add two other "combination" usergroups now just to cover her).

So, armed with a better description, any ideas? 🙂

Thanks,

Bruce

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

I'm sorry but you have to play with additional Usergroups, this is the only way at the moment. wpForo doesn't support multiple Usergroup yet. Here an example for you:

1. Create Usergroup - RunCommittee - (John and Jen)

2. Create Usergroup - WalkCommittee - (Paul and Patty)

3. Create Usergroup - Run-And-Walk-Committee - (Jacob)

4. Set Permissions for Forum Run

• RunCommittee - Standard Access - (John and Jen)
  • WalkCommittee - No Access - (Paul and Patty)
  • Run-And-Walk-Committee - Standard Access - (Jacob)

5. Set Permissions for Forum Walk

• RunCommittee - No Access - (John and Jen)
  • WalkCommittee - Standard Access - (Paul and Patty)
  • Run-And-Walk-Committee - Standard Access - (Jacob)
 GJC1
(@gjc1)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Robert

wpForo doesn't support multiple Usergroup yet. 

I'm interested in this feature as well. Do you know if there are plans for wpForo to add support for this?

Page 1 / 5