Notifications
Clear all

Regenerate sitemap when new content is added

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@bleevht)

I am loving the overall functionality of wpforo on my website. There is an issue that I would like to post to the forum as I may be missing something here. I have noticed that new topics are not automatically picked up on the sitemap generated by WPforo. Also, it looks like to force the sitemap to regenerate with the newest content, you have to delete the forum cache which is less than ideal. 

Can there be a new mechanism added to automatically update the sitemap without having to delete all the forum cache? It seems like the sitemap by default should be excluded from the forum cache in general so the sitemap is never stale with fresh content.

Let me know however, if I am missing some basic setting or functionality here.

6 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

The forum sitemap is automatically generated when something is changed. Added / Deleted / Modified.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Posted by: @bleevht

. I have noticed that new topics are not automatically picked up on the sitemap generated by WPforo. Also, it looks like to force the sitemap to regenerate with the newest content, you have to delete the forum cache which is less than ideal. 

This is not correct for sure. You don't have to delete the wpForo cache. If you have other cache plugins then make sure you've excluded forum pages from your cache plugin: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wpforo-and-cache-plugins/#post-37150

Topic starter
(@bleevht)

@robert thank you for the reply! I am using WP-Rocket and have added the exclusions:

/community/(.*)/
/forum/(.*)/
/participant/(.*)/
/sign-up/(.*)/
/sign-in/(.*)/
/change-password/(.*)/

Also, using Cloudflare and have excluded:

URI Path contains /community/ in the cache rules.

I had to do the above in addition to the recommended exclusions for WP-Rocket. Any other guidance there on caching? I am glad to know there isn't something I'm missing on the settings for WPForo.

Also, one odd thing, just doing some basic troubleshooting here....I have turned off caching on the "board settings". However, when I see the topic sitemap stale after adding a new topic, i can go click the button "Delete forum cache" and the new topic appears, even with the forum cache flagged off. That seems strange to me.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

@bleevht Please check your wpFORO PAGES html source with your browser, to verify Caching IS disabled.

1 Reply
(@bleevht)

@dimalifragis @robert, I don't see any caching mentioned on the page source. Here is a little test I have done:

On my hosting, they do some static page caching (however I have /community* excluded), I have cleared the cache there, then checked the topic-sitemap1.xml with SHIFT+F5 and no change.

Then, on cloudflare (which I have excluded for /community/ URI strings that are included), and then I have cleared the cloudflare cache and checked the topic-sitemap1.xml, with SHIFT+F5 and no change.

Then, I cleared the WP-Rocket cache, which I have the recommended exclusions for, with SHIFT+F5 checked the topic-sitemap1.xml page, and no change.

Finally, even though I have the toggle flagged OFF for the WP-Foro cache on the board settings, I can log in as admin and "Delete Forum Cache" and then refresh the browser and new topics just posted show up.

This series of steps would seem to indicate that WP-Foro is caching the sitemap somehow? Is there a possibility that even though I have the caching turned off it isn't really turned off? Is there a way to tell if WP-Foro is caching a specific page?

Page 1 / 2