Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] I don't want site visitor to access the members list or any member profile

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@cedluck)

Hi there,

First I would like to thank you very much for the amazing forum plugin that you build. It's truly a superb piece of work and my subscriber are loving it.

My forum here https://safga.eu/community is 100% private. But I recently figured out that visitors could access the members list by typing the appropriate url https://safga.eu/community/members and then click on the users and see their stats. This  is against the privacy policy I have concluded with my customer.

I would like to know if there is anyway I could restrict the visitor from accessing these urls. I tried some plugins, but they seem either too big or too complex to handle. Is there a simple code that I could inject in functions.php ?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Stay safe

Cédric from France

4 Replies
(@martin)
Support Team

Hi @cedluck,

If you don't want, you can hide members and member profiles. 

1. In Forums > Usergroups admin page, edit the Guest usergeoup and disable these permissions:

• Front - Can view members
  • Front - Can view profiles
  • Front - Can view member activity
  • Front - Can view member subscriptions

2. Then Edit other Usergroups and uncheck the "Display on Members List" option

3. then go to Forums > Settings > Features admin page and disable the "Enable User Profile Page indexing" option

Topic starter
(@cedluck)

Thank You, Martin, that went very well.

Just a last little detail: the "our newest member" does show the name of the latest subscriber and I don't want that either. Can I do something about that?

2 Replies
(@martin)

Support Team

@cedluck,

Put this CSS code in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Styles Tab > Custom CSS Code textarea. Save it, delete all caches, go to forum front-end and press Ctrl+F5 to reset browser cache:

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap #wpforo-footer .wpf-stat-other span:nth-child(2){display: none !important;}
(@cedluck)

Thank you @martin

Sorry for the delay in answering but as you know we're all in a difficult situation at this time. I had anticipated your solution and already put a CSS patch in the Custom CSS code textarea you mentioned.

This is what I put and this worked perfectly well :

#wpforo #wpforo-wrap #wpforo-footer .wpf-stat-other span a[title] {display: none;pointer-events: none;}

Though this solution does prevent from discovering some of my subscribers names on the front-end, some smart hackers could still access it by looking at the markup with their browser dev-tools. Maybe you guys could figure out some features in some other evolution of wpForo that really not generate the code and respect a perfect anonymity. Mind that this is just a suggestion and not a demand, I'm perfectly satisfied with your product and so are my subscribers.

I hope you guys are all well

CedLuck