Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Don't receive email notifications.

22 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

@theo-duncker I got it. Just tested it in my sites and new post notice works great.

Topic starter
(@theo-duncker)
Eminent Member

?

I'm happy to hear that it works great on your site, so …..  ?

I can accept when I did something wrong in the settings, but please give me a tip where to look. I can't believe it is a problem with my email provider or something like that because as said, other notifications are working. I also tested the function of "Reporting"; The email was sent correctly to the webmaster. I hope that your expertise, knowledge and experience with WPForo and contacts with other users will help to solve my problem. As understood I'm not the only with this problem, so any information is welcome.

Kind regards, Theo Duncker

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team
Posted by: Theo Duncker

?

I can accept when I did something wrong in the settings, but please give me a tip where to look. I can't believe it is a problem with my email provider or something like that because as said, other notifications are working. I also tested the function of "Reporting"; The email was sent correctly to the webmaster. I hope that your expertise, knowledge and experience with WPForo and contacts with other users will help to solve my problem. As understood I'm not the only with this problem, so any information is welcome.

Hi @theo-duncker,

Please don't panic and don't search bugs in wpForo related to this. This is not a bug for sure. This is a website or server specific issue.

1. I recommend start checking these points one by one and leave some feedback for each point:  https://wpforo.com/community/faq/not-receiving-automatic-replynotificationconfirmation-emails/#post-5344

Please don't just reply with a text "I checked all and nothing helped".

2. Make sure your users are subscribed to forums and topics and they have confirmed their subscriptions via emails. Without confirmation they'll not receive any email notification.

3. Make sure the Standard Access, or if you created custom forum accesses have permission "Can subscribe" in permission set. You can check forum accesses in Dashboard > Forum > Settings > Forum Accesses Tab. Just edit them and check permissions:

4. Leave your forum URL to allow us test it too. 

(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: Theo Duncker

?

As i posted a few seconds ago to the lady with similar problems, the important is to find if the email is for some reason stuck in WP (due to error or conflict) OR it goes OUT from WP but never delivered.

I provided all the ways to find exactly that, still nobody followed them.

Topic starter
(@theo-duncker)
Eminent Member

Dear Robert, thank you for your help, I will try to answer as detailed as possible.

Before reporting this issue on support forums please make sure your server email sender works well. Make sure you got emails from your WordPress (on registration or on other cases...).

Yes, I receive emails.  As someone register via plugin "Participants Database" the webmaster receives a notification. Also the admins or forum owners receive notifications when "Notify Admins via email on new Post/Topic" is switched on.

Receiver is the same sender. Make sure the "From Email" (Forums > Settings > Email) is not the same subscriber email.

Sender is "webmaster" and receiver is subscriber with own email address.

If the "From Email" domain doesn't have website domain name (e.g.: info@gmail.com, but website is example.com) it may tracked as spam, you should check in spam box.

"From Email" is website related (webmaster@assvboogschieten.nl). I checked spam box, no spam.

Some hosting services, or some Antispam plugins try to cache emails and those are not being sent immediately. You should wait 1-30 min (e.g.: on some GoDaddy hosting plans you receive emails in 45 min).

I'm having this problem now for about a week. In this time no (delayed) messages where received.

If you're using GMail Fetch services, go to Gmail Settings > Accounts and Import and click on "Check mail now" link to load all new comments from website email server.

I'm not using GMail Fetch services.

First email is the Subscription Confirmation Email, you should click on confirmation link and confirm your subscription to certain forum/topic. If you don't get Subscription confirmation email and don't confirm it you'll not get future comments. Sometimes the confirmation email go to spam-box and user don't check it. You should check in spam-box as well.

Yes, Enable Subscription Confirmation is set to on. Subscriber receives an email to confirm. After confirmation no notifications. Also spam boxes checked.

Test it as real as possible. You should use new IP, new emails and new accounts. The best way to ask your friend to post a reply with Subscription and Subscription Confirmation. Then reply him.

I made two different users with own email address. This email addresses are controlled by me so I can read them. Testing by sending back and forth new topics and post didn't result in notifications. Both test users have role of "Subscriber".

Make sure you don't reply to your topic or post.

Yes, one test user is posting new topic or post, subscribed on this topic, the second test user is responding on this topic or post, first test user is not receiving notifications and second test user neither when first test user reply, etc. One user is checking with Firefox and the other with Chrome.

Make sure the Standard Access, or if you created custom forum accesses have permission "Can subscribe" in permission set. You can check forum accesses in Dashboard > Forum > Settings > Forum Accesses Tab. Just edit them and check permissions:

Yes, Can subscribe is selected.

At this moment after testing for several days I found out that it is a "Role" issue. When I upgrade one or both test user to "Admin" then they are receiving notifications. I'm using the plugin "User Role Editor" and changed the rights for a standard "Subscriber" to all permitted.  That didn't help, no notifications! 

So for this moment I don't know how to continue, obvious the Role of the user (and not his rights) play a part in this problem but I don't know how to fix this. Hope you can help.

My WPForo on website www.assvboogschieten.nl is members (on invitation) only.  I can invite you as test member but then I need a working email address. See attached screenshot with settings.

Topic starter
(@theo-duncker)
Eminent Member

Dear Anonymous20,

Thank you for this reply. However for me your explanation is just as incomprehensible
as my answer probably is for you. As far as I can think of I've followed all your recommendations, but without succes so far. HOW can I test if the mail is stuck in WP or goes out but never delivered? I'm not a programmer, just a user, so I don't know how to test all communications within WP. Your suggested plugin "Postman" didn't work for me, it even damaged another plugin (participant Database). As wrote before, WPForo (and thus WP) is sending mails to forum owners when option "Notify Admins via email on new Topic/Post" is selected. So for me sending emails is Ok, correct me if I'm wrong.

For your information; At this moment the notification is working correctly when I upgrade the test user (subscriber) to the rol as admin. Changing the rights of the test user was not enough. I'm now trying to find the reason for this. Already sent a comprehensive mail to Robert with all my findings one hour ago.

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Theo, The Postman is the most well respected email related plugin, can't break anything. Sorry.

As for the rest. You can find errors and conflicts VIA the DEBUG LOG. I posted, got no reply. If the debug is empty from errors, then go use other methods to debug like disabling plugins one by one, use the Postman and CHECK the logs.

No need to be a programmer, i'm not.

Anyway, sorry i was not able to provide you with some real help.

Page 2 / 4