Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Emails to subscribers not working

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@aldrich_admin)

Hello,

I have not implemented the forum on website yet as am evaluating various forum plugins. Here is what I did...

1. Created 3 test users on our website with their own unique email addresses. WpForo profiles all created properly with correct email addresses from WP profile.
  2. Created a test Forum and subscribed all 3 test users to receive notifications of Forum activity/posts
  3. Logged on as one of the test users and went to test Forum site and posted a topic
  4. Logged on a a different user and replied to that topic
  5. Did get an email to moderate the post in my email inbox so some emails going out OK
  6. None of my test users email accounts getting emails for Forum posts
  7. Checked my SMTP log in SendinBlue account transaction log and see the emails being sent except the TO email address is "test@example.com" so of course SendinBlue account transaction log showing the email bounced

I checked every setting in WPFORO and in SMTP plugin and do not see this address anywhere. Also checked WPFORO debug Tabs and all says OK.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thx

Kevin

8 Replies
Alvina
(@alvina)

Hi @aldrich_admin,

Please check point mentioned in this support topic, and let us know:

https://wpforo.com/community/faq/not-receiving-automatic-replynotificationconfirmation-emails/#post-5344

3 Replies
(@aldrich_admin)

@alvina

1. Before reporting this issue on support forums please make sure your server email sender works well. Make sure you got emails from your WordPress (on registration or on other cases...). You can check it in Dashboard > Forums > Tools > Debug > Errors & issues admin page. If the mail function doesn't work you'll see an error notification. As stated in initial email I already checked the debug page and all sub-tabs and no errors show.
  2. Receiver is the same sender. Make sure the "From Email" (Forums > Settings > Email) is not the same subscriber email. The emails are being generated and are what they are supposed to be for content from WPFORO but the to address is not coming from the WPFORO profile but instead has "Test@Example.com" 
  3. If the "From Email" domain doesn't have website domain name (e.g.: info@gmail.com, but website is example.com) it may tracked as spam, you should check in spam box.As defined above the email is generated correctly with from address as defined being forum@aldrich.club
  4. Some hosting services, or some Antispam plugins try to cache emails and those are not being sent immediately. You should wait 1-30 min (e.g.: on some GoDaddy hosting plans you receive emails in 45 min). As stated the email is being sent but just bounced due to invalid TO address
  5. If you're using GMail Fetch services, go to Gmail Settings > Accounts and Import and click on "Check mail now" link to load all new comments from website email server. Not using Gmail
  6. First email is the Subscription Confirmation Email, you should click on confirmation link and confirm your subscription to certain forum/topic. If you don't get Subscription confirmation email and don't confirm it you'll not get future comments. Sometimes the confirmation email go to spam-box and user don't check it. You should check in spam-box as well. All test users received the subscribe verification emails from WPFORO Forum they subscribed to say "Unsubscribe" which tells me that all worked. Which is why the emails with wrong TO addresses are going out as stated above
  7. Test it as real as possible. You should use new IP, new emails and new accounts. The best way to ask your friend to post a reply with Subscription and Subscription Confirmation. Then reply him. Done
  8. Make sure you don't reply to your topic or post. Did not do that
  9. Disable all other plugins and test it again. No other plugins using email service

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

Thank you @aldrich_admin,

Please leave your website URL.

(@aldrich_admin)

@robert

Hi Robert...

The URL is www.aldrich.club although the Forum is not public if that is what your looking for as I am still evaluating and setting up and confirming operational before I open to our Club members.

Kevin

Topic starter
(@aldrich_admin)

Update on problem...

It seems the replies to subscribers work some of the time...not sure why it works sometime and not others. Also seems like the emails related to subscription confirmation go out a second or third time for topics already subscribed to and verified. Also once a reply moderated as accepted no emails going to subscribers but if a post doesn't need moderation it seems to work at least to some of the subscribers. 

Just banging away at this to try and work through the issue and trying different test scenarios.

Kevin

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@aldrich_admin,

I think this is an access issue. Make sure the users you're testing has correct permission to see the category, forum and the topics. So even if they have permission to whole forum but one category is private they'll not receive emails notifications. The permissions are in Forum Access which is attached to the user Usergroup that forum.

So first find the Forum Access, which is attached to that user Usergroups in the parent category and child forums of the  topic he is subscribed. Just edit each forum and check it in the right sidebar "Forum Permissions" section.

Then edit that access in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Forum Accesses and check "Can Subscribe", "Can View Forum" and "Can View Topic" permissions:

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

This is too much information posted and nobody is gonna read it. Time is limited for everyone.

All in all:

1. wpForo doesn't handle email. Not at all. It queues it to Wordpress or to a plugin for email (if installed). Same goes for login and registrations.

2. The best way to debug email problems (again not related at all to wpForo) is to install a smtp plugin with extended logs and check what is going on.

3. The "test@example.com" should exist somewhere in your setup. Search a bit.

1 Reply
(@aldrich_admin)

@anonymous20

Guess you didn't read my posts above as I do have a SMTP plugin so I can debug all this and it is pointing to the "from email" getting messed up from WPFORO...or at the very least it is coming in blank and SMTP plugin is supplying something as an alternative but that is not configurable or mentioned as such in any docs. 

Solved the problem by uninstalling WPFORO and going with a competitive product...so you can close this thread.

BYE